Logo

Chrysler Stern Drive v8 5200 ccm or 318 in2 Service

sashayyc

Hi guys!
Some help would be a

Hi guys!
Some help would be appreciated. We are planing to do servicing on Stern drive but we would need part indexing so we can determine what needs to be purchased in order to fix it. It is an orignal engine from '79.
Thank you for all suggestions.

"Sasha,

I have the most com

"Sasha,

I have the most complete Chrysler 300 sterndrive parts in the country. I have bought out a couple distributors and have a lot of the items needed. One thing you need to let us know first is if it is a HA or a HB drive, We have the parts and service manuals available... Dave www.hurrikain.com"

"now you tell me

after I lo

"now you tell me

after I looked high & low for a fresh water intake tube , between the outdrive & the transom.

Fred 156-M"

Fred 156 -M . Did you find a f

Fred 156 -M . Did you find a fresh water intake tube? Would be interested to know. Always on the look out for cost effective ways for boat parts. Fats

"Fast and Fats, the fresh wate

"Fast and Fats, the fresh water tube has been gone forever, and most folks just install a freshwater pickup on the boat like is used on a inboard boat. BUT were working with a friend of ours and we now have NEW Exhaust boots, Driveshaft boots, and hopefully real quick the water intake line also!

Dave"

I resorted to a piece of Shop

I resorted to a piece of Shop Vac hose. Not any stretch like the original but I must have measured it just right 'cause it seems to do the job. I've heard about the repo's for years now but no one's ever came up with any.

"Well it all comes down to mon

"Well it all comes down to money. When you look at reproducing a part you look at the total investment and then the number of parts that need to be sold at a reasonable price, and sometimes it just isn't a good business move even though it is a good thing for customers. Lucky for a lot of folks my friend decided it was a ok investment so he has moved forward with producing a few of the items."

"Hey Fats
I also had to conve

"Hey Fats
I also had to convert over to the raw water pickup (scoop/strainer}, so David, don't count on me as a sale of the new production hose. And I don't know any one else with A 300 outdrive.
Broke my heart to drill a huge hole in the bottom of my baby, but...........
The updated set up works great, + gave me an option that I hope I will never have to use.
I installed a T in the pick up side of the inlet hose between the belt drive raw water pump & the inlet shut off valve. Added another ball valve shutoff, hose nipple, & short hose down into the bilge, = an easy 2000 gph bilge pump , if your engine will run.

{Forgot to put the sea-cock in, 1 time. I didn't realize it till about 15 minutes after launch, when she just wouldn't get up on plane.
It appeared to be a lack of power, & I thought maybe it was the fuel line shutoff valve not open all of the way.
It became very apparent as soon as I lifted the engine hatch & the water was slinging every where off of thre engine belts.

Fred 156-M"

"David
Do you have the crush

"David
Do you have the crush sleeves , & a 1.75 : 1 gear set.

Just wondering

Fred 156-M"

I don't doubt it's a t

I don't doubt it's a tough call to make them. I wouldn't hazard to guess how many of these drives are even out there anymore. When it comes to drive boots I've found some other brands work but the water lines are unique.

"Fred, I will look for the gea

"Fred, I will look for the gear sets and crush sleeves this weekend. I have gearsets, but not 100 percent on the ratio's ..

Dave"

Oh forgot to also post on the

Oh forgot to also post on the water intake hose. We have 2 folks trying out the new hoses. Once were sure there are no issues under all conditions we'll have them available The driveline and exhaust bellows are available now.

Dave

Back