Logo

Shift Rod Bushing amp Oring Removal 1962 Johnson 10HP

tims_10hp

1962 Johnson 10HP QD-23

I a

1962 Johnson 10HP QD-23

I am replacing all the seals and water pump in the lower unit. I am using a Seloc manual as a guide. The Seloc manual states that a special punch tool must be used to remove the brass bushing and o-ring for the shift rod seal. I am referring to the brass bushing and o-ring that the shift rod passes through just prior to entering the gear housing. It is located next to and down slightly from the water pump housing. There is very little access to get any conventional tools in there to push it out. Can anyone give me some thoughts on how I might be able to get the bushing out so I can replace the o-ring? Is this "special punch tool" available or is it just a straight circular punch of the correct diameter?

I appreciate any and all assistance... Tim

"I can't say for sure if y

"I can't say for sure if your 1962 10 Hp Johnson is the same as my 1961 5.5Hp Johnson but this is what I did. My manual also told me about a special tool that I had a hard time locating, so I took a 5/16" tap and tap about 3 or 4 threads into the shift rod bushing. I then screwed in a 5/16" bolt to these new threads. From the underside I used a metal rod that was 1/4" diameter and used it with a light hammer action to tap it out. The rod effectively pushed on the bolt which pulled the bushing out. You could also just pull on the bolt itself, but I had the 1/4" rod handy and it worked great."

"Doug's method is perfectl

"Doug's method is perfectly acceptable. I just thought I would mention that the special tool is basically a thin threaded rod. You push it through the bushing and o-ring, and screw a collar onto the rod. The collar is just small enough to fit through the hole in the casing. Then you place a steel plate or a washer/plate combination against the casing, so that when you tighten a nut against this plate it pulls the bushing out.

All of this can be inexpensively done, and will serve quite well in a number of applications."

I appreciate all your suggesti

I appreciate all your suggestions and thank you for the detailed description of what the tool actually is! I was really curious. I am going to use a long socket head cap screw (1/4-20) and turn down the head just so it fits in the casing hole and pull the bushing out using a bridge across the lower unit casing. If that does not work I will thread it and pull it out. Either way I will get it out. Thanks again! Take care... Tim

Back