Logo

Need an opinion on hot 454

rickydgreen

"I have twin '84 crusader

"I have twin '84 crusader 454's in a houseboat. One seems to run hotter than the other. Produces some steam, but not crazy. I noticed this same engine did't seem to be passing as much water through the exhaust. I changed the raw water impeller, didn't change much. I can touch the exhaust manifold on the other engine with bare hands. Infrared thermometer shows the problem engine to be 50 degrees hotter. My boat needs a bottom job I know, could the pickup on the bottom be so covered as to cause a restriction to the flow that much, if so, why not both sides?"

"My port engine runs hotter be

"My port engine runs hotter because it has a thermostat in it and the starboard doesn't. I would check that as a starter.

After that I would read all the historical messages relative to engines running hot, steam from exhaust etc. There is a ton of good information.

Chuck Hanson"

Ricky:

possible the growth

Ricky:

possible the growth is restricting the inlet.

how old are the exhaust elbows?

how often have you changed the zincs in the heat exchanger & oil cooler?

Strainer in the inlet? basket clear? lid on tight with gasket in good shape?

How about an air leak in hte r

How about an air leak in hte raw water pump inlet system? Last summer I battled the same problem and it turned out to be an air leak in the strainer lid.

You'd be surprised at how much trouble a little air being sucked in (instead of water) can cause.

Jeff

"RE: "You'd be surpris

"RE: "You'd be surprised at how much trouble a little air being sucked in (instead of water) can cause. "

Not only "how much", but how often it happens.
I once spent half a summer chasing an intermittent high temp at cruise issue... bad gasket."

Heat exchange cooled? If so t

Heat exchange cooled? If so then pull oil cooler and heat exchanger and acid wash. Pull risers and elbows and acid wash or replace. Highly recommend replacing risers and elbows if they are more than 5 yrs old.

Also check for vacuum leak in intake manifold and carburator base.

Back