Logo

12V71 Natural Oil Pressure Problem

steve931

I have a customer w/12V71 Detr

I have a customer w/12V71 Detroit natural that has been running fine but when he started it this morning it shut off and now has no oil pressure.I checked for oil pressure at the sending unit and governor but had none.I don't know much about the oil regulator or relief valve.Any input will be appreciated Thank's

"Pull the oil pan. Check your

"Pull the oil pan. Check your inlet screen to make sure it's not clogged, check the gears on the front of the pump to make sure they're not stripped. Check all the bolts on the pump, and the discharge tube going to the block to make sure they're tight.

On the oil pump body, there are two big bolts. The one on the right hand side (I believe) is the relief valve. It opens if the oil pressure gets too high. Pull that valve out and check for any binding or a broken spring.

Follow the discharge tube until it goes into the cylinder block. The assembly that the discharge tube bolts to is where the oil pressure regulator is located. Pull that valve out and check for binding or a broken spring.

I think there's a relief valve in the oil filter housing as well...but if that broke I don't think it would cause you to have no pressure at all. But you might want to check that, as well.

Let us know how it turns out."

Back