Click for Chrysler parts and manuals!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Pittsburgh (Three Rivers Area), PA,

    Default "I have to remove the 318 from

    "I have to remove the 318 from my 73 gibson, married to a dana 90 outdrive..The block cracked.. I found a 318 from a friendout of a 82 dodge diplomat....Whatneeds to be done??? what has to be done to remove engine , outdrive etc??? I am an ametuer at this...Jeff, I'm in the Pittsburgh area...could be a nice working weekend from allentown..


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    New Tripoli, PA, USA!

    Default "..."could be a nice worki

    "..."could be a nice working weekend from allentown.."

    Talk to my wife! See has an extensive Honey-Do List.

    If this is going to be a raw water cooled deal, you need to replace the freeze plugs with brass, and the head gaskets with stainless marine types. Then bolt on all the unique marine stuff: intake, distributor, flywheel, etc.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Pittsburgh (Three Rivers Area), PA,

    Default "DO I need to change the intak

    "DO I need to change the intake manifold?? Can you explain the differance on the cooling?? Mine draws water thru the bottom of hull, thru strainer and up to a water pump...


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Island Heights, NJ,

    Default "RE: Intake... The BIG issue i

    "RE: Intake... The BIG issue is the carb. You can't use the diplomat's carb for safety reasons. It's unlikely that the marine carb will bolt onto the diplomat's intake.

    RE: "replacing parts..." probably want to add the cam to the list. Also a new set of exhaust manifolds and elbows should be strongly considered.

    Re: "Cooling" ... The issue is raw vs "fresh water" cooling. The term fresh water is a bit misleading as in these systems, the engine block (and often the manifolds) are cooled by a mixture of fresh water and antifreese. In these systems, there is a "heat exchanger". On the "inside" of the heat exchanger there is "fresh water", on the outside circuit there is water that is pumped in by the raw water pump and then exits via the exhaust elbows.

    On a "raw water" cooled engine, the water is drawn in either from the drive or thru hull, pumped into the engine and circulated... (intentional) excess water is dumped out thru the manifolds and elbows as is hot water."
    Capt Bob
    1969 23ft ChrisCraft Lancer
    Merc 5.7L 260HP/ Volvo 280
    1972 22ft Bristol
    Honda 7.5HP 4 stroke Long shaft

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bruford SC , U.S.A.

    Default "An '82 will have a Quadra

    "An '82 will have a Quadrajet carb and their spread bore's. You can find marine Q-jet's that should work on that intake, otherwise if you go with a Edel. 1409 or Holley 4160 marine carb you will probably want a different intake."

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Pan Removal??
    By zootschief in forum Mercruiser Sterndrive Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 08:58 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 05:03 PM
  3. Stern drive removal amp trim hoses removal
    By david_ray in forum Mercruiser Sterndrive Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 04:53 PM
  4. 1995 Yamaha T99EXHT impeller replacement seal housing removal
    By westcoastdonni in forum Yamaha Outboard Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
  5. 270 Leg removal bellows uj replacement
    By ramco1 in forum Volvo Penta Gas Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts