Logo

Looking at buying a 1997 85 hp Johnson

happymeal

"Hi all! First time on these

"Hi all! First time on these boards.

I'm looking at buying a boat currently with this motor on it. Everything seems to be in order including the price, but I'm wondering if this motor suffers from any inherent problems. Are there any considerations to be taken into account with this motor? I realize that sometimes you can have issues due to "normal" failures etc, due to age/use/preventative maintenance.

I'm simply trying to avoid buying this and then ending up with a neat prop for my yard when the motor goes out. The plan if we buy, is to have this thing tuned up and checked out right away, but if it's a time bomb, I'd rather avoid it...

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Johnson/Evinrude have been ma

"Johnson/Evinrude have been making the 85 hp for many years [ I have had 3- a '74, a '76, and my current '79].
It will smoke, and it will drink gas [compared to a modern 4 stroke or injected 2 stroke], but it will last a long time if you maintain it.
1st, have it checked out BEFORE you buy it. Then change to impeller and lower unit lube once per year, and stabilize the fuel before you lay it up, and it will last a long time."

Back