Logo

1978 85 hp johnson control cables

dannyvan

"Does it make since to anyone

"Does it make since to anyone that one control cable is 1 foot longer than the other. They both are going from the control box to the shift linkage and the throttle asymbly. Fixing to order new ones, just want to make sure."

"cables are sold as measured b

"cables are sold as measured by the foot, you can't just by the longest ones. On the cables usually about 1-3 feet from the end you will find a number stamped, use that info when ordering. Has anyone else owned that boat, was there a differnet engine on the boat, that may explain different lengths. They can be same or different, maybe they weren't available as same lengths when installed previously.

Are they not working properly? or is it an esthetics issue."

"I have owned the boat for abo

"I have owned the boat for about 6 yrs. I never changed them out, don't know if the previous owner did one or both or none at all. I don't see any #'s on the cable but I did see one on the sleeve at the end of the cable that mounts in the control box. They have always been tight and I have even disconnected them from the shift linkage and throttle assembly and were still tight at the control box. Don't know if it matters but this is a pontoon.?? This is why I am replacing them."

"yes the numbers are on the sl

"yes the numbers are on the sleeve. Some control boxes have detent tension adjustments usually a knob in the front edge. Could be the box needs to be opened, cleaned and re-greased. the only way to see if the issue is the cables is to completely disconnect them from both the engine and control, unless you see somewhere there's a break in the housing that will let in water, which will then rust. the most common other reason would be a tight bend or a cable that was bent back on it self. I've worked on a few to many controls myself and their not bad, need to pay attention to the spring washers, wire routing and not loosing the detent bearing. Should be some pictures on the net somewhere."

"I will try taking each end lo

"I will try taking each end loose, removing from boat and seeing if they move freely. What is a detent bearing? thanks for all the advice."

"Sorry was thinking mercury co

"Sorry was thinking mercury control, but your's may have one to, it depends on the type of control and brand.

it's a small metal cylinder about 1/4" long and a little less in diameter, there's a big wheel peice inside and along the outside edge is a small notch, that's where the bearing sits, against a small flat metal spring."

Back