Logo

Shift problems on 1980 mod 60 HP Evinrude

emidkiff

"When shifting into reverse th

"When shifting into reverse the linkage chatters and will not engage. If I unhook the cable, I can shift into reverse. Adjustment is at maximum.
Seems worse when boat is in the water."

that chatter is because its no

that chatter is because its not traveling far enough to engage .........needs adjustment at cable.

have you had the lu off anytime recently?...maybe gotten the shift rod out of adjustment.

or could be bad cable....

i just noticed you post count.......welcome to marineengine!!

Thank's. I have not had th

Thank's. I have not had the lower unit off but have had the control box apart. Is there any adjustment there?

some of the cables are adjusta

some of the cables are adjustable with lil allen head screws and some are not......

what kind of controls do you have?

i have 2 different types a hidden type and the regular type that mounts on the side of the boat.

the hidden one i have never used it came with a parts eng i bought a while back.........it has the exact hook-ups as my other control box but has the lil alan screw type cables with the solid end on the eng side (no screws) and the screw type end on the inside of the box......

it could be that your cable has broken or come apart inside the control box.........did anything fall out when you took your box apart?

"I have the original control t

"I have the original control that came with the motor. Mounts on the side of the boat. To my knowledge everything is intact. I used the boat lastseason, crippled as it was.the cables move freely, just won't travel far enough.Eventually you can get it to go into reverse, but it will jump back out under load."

"those cable should not have a

"those cable should not have allen hd screws,....and actually,...those were not an adj,but more of an attachment feature.post 79,did not have the allen hd screws,by factory installation."

Back