Logo

Evinrude 88spc will not engage gears

rustbucket

Have a 1989 - Evinrude 88spc a

Have a 1989 - Evinrude 88spc and the eng will not go into gear - jusr revs like in neutral - tried tubing with the kids and it went.

My skills are limited - have a manual - would like to fix this myself - is this a big job?
Any advise is appreciated.

Tried to drop the lower unit and realize I may need to unclip the rod under the carb - is that the case?
After I drop the unit I was told I need special tools to get to the gears?

Thanks for any help

shift cable moves forward &#40

shift cable moves forward (moves gear shaft and throttle) but gets stuck in reverse - when I dropped the unit a few inches and put it back and the cable engaged again but went back to stuck after we started the engine and tried to move into gear.

yes to drop the lu you will ha

yes to drop the lu you will have to disconnect the shift rod and yes its under the lower carb.

careful that lu is heavier than it looks.

sounds as if you have internal probs if your cable is working/adjusted properly....

"You may have spun you prop.

"You may have spun you prop.
The propeller splines are in a big rubber bushing [if you have a one piece prop]. If you did, the prop shaft is just spinning inside the prop hub.
Remove the prop, and look at the end of the hub where it touches the thrust washer. The black rubber bushing will usually show damage on that end. You should be able to get it fixed for about $60.
Go ahead, ask me how i know...
Yep, happened to me yesterday, and dropped the prop of at a prop shop this morning."

thanks for the replies...if I

thanks for the replies...if I have internal trouble is there a special tool to get to the gears as I was told or can I disassemble and replace any obvious sheared parts?
Is this a common issue and what usually needs to be replaced?
Thanks...

I'll check the prop...

Back