Logo

2000 Horizon 57 L MPI Mag timing

L

Larry K

My port engine (200 hr.&#4

My port engine (200 hr.)is experiencing a torque loss plus black wet plugs. Fuel pump pressures and plugs are identical with the starbord engine. The only difference is that the port timing has been "adjusted" by two different mechanics. Am I correct in thinking you have to physically disconnect the electronic advance prior to setting the crank timing with a timing light? Then reconnect the ECM and set the advance with the diagnostic tool? Retarded timing would explain both the power loss and the rich mixture due to incomplete combustion.

Correct. I suggest buying a m

Correct. I suggest buying a manual (from THIS site) and doing it by the letter.

Jeff

"Thanks for the good advice.

"Thanks for the good advice.

The manual I have describes removing a colored wire from the distribtor yet I cannot find a wire matching that description? Is the wire connected to the distribtor itself or elsewhere?

Thanks, Larry"

The wire may be in the ignitio

The wire may be in the ignition module. I assume yours has a separate module.?

Jeff

"Larry,
You don't disconn

"Larry,
You don't disconnect anything to set the timing. You must put the engine in "Service Mode" usually done with a code tool or scan tool. You can actually place it in Service Mode by using a paperclip to connect the "A" and "B" terminals of the Data Link Connector.

You can check/set it, but I don't really think timing is your problem.

Dave"

"Dave:
Both engines have had

"Dave:
Both engines have had fuel pump problems in the past - resulting in a gradual loss of power folowed by complete pump failure. The plugs were the correct color without the black rich deposits I am now seeing.
This seems to be a loss of torque made more noticable due to drag from summer bottom fouling (algae). This still points me toward timing as the issue - any other ideas? I am meeting a mechanic with the proper scan tool Tue. - any thoughts would be appreciated.
All other items are OK - gas is fresh, water filters are dry, air filter clean, throttle body opening fully, new plugs, etc."

Back