Logo

What size trolling motor

ferree00

"Hello, i was also wondering w

"Hello, i was also wondering what size of a trolling motor or thrust would be good for a 16 ft fiberglass bass boat."

"that is an open question,with

"that is an open question,with many variables,and many possible,and good answers...but,w.nothing more than what u have thrown in..i'll say...a 12V 55 LBS thrust,hand controlled."

"At least a 225, maybe two of

"At least a 225, maybe two of them.......and about fifty of those 5 gallon empty spackle buckets tied to the transom.....that should do!
lol.gif
"

I have an 18ft glass bass boat

I have an 18ft glass bass boat and use a 56lbs thrust with 24V. If you fish competitively the extra juice helps keep the power up over the course of a long day. The down side is the additional cost and weight. Mine is foot controlled but you will have to decide which one is best for you.

"I have a 15ft glass fishing b

"I have a 15ft glass fishing boat. It's older, but I have a Motorguide 46lb trolling myself. It works perfectly for my boat. I can slow it down plenty when I'm just looking to stay close in to shore and make small adjustments or crank it open a bit and really move pretty good. I can get a good 2mph out of it pretty easy. At the same time, I can use the thing pretty much all day long and not worry about the battery, and that includes running the sonar. Just make sure you get a GOOD deep cycle marine battery suitably sized (or oversized for that matter!) and you'll be good to go!

As for hand or foot control, I just couldn't bring myself to recommend hand control. Maybe it's not a fair statement since I've never used a hand control, but I gotta tell ya... Maybe I'm just not good at multi-tasking, but even using the foot control and using a rod at the same time can be a little tricky at times.. When I'm really focused on the rod and a certain spot/speed I tend to forget about controlling the boat! If I had to fight the same time with hand controls I'd give up! For me the ease of using a foot just makes all the difference in the world."

Back