Logo

Enduro 40 hp 2001 sw use reliability amp convert tiller to remote

dovekie

"I'm still looking to up-p

"I'm still looking to up-power fr 25. Posted locally is a 40 Enduro for $2 K(Cdn) likely w/ s/w use - I've not seen yet & travel req'd to inspect; it looks clean in pics.
Any comments on known problems?
I bought, maintained & used a 30 Enduro for work in 1990 up to 2006 & it is a great motor but fell prey to 'multiple users' ;- ) Anyway, if anyone has thoughts or specific experience re. the 40 Enduro 2001, comment is appreciated. I will want to adapt for front controls so would need to look for those & costs accordingly.

I did a search of topics on this forum. Familiar also w/ std. precautions buying used.

Thanks v much!"

"Yamaha (Canada) still

"Yamaha (Canada) still markets a 50 horse 2 stroke. The 2010 model is selling for just on 5K $CDN.

In that perspective, an 8 year old "salt water" run 40 sounds a little overpriced at 2K. Personally, with a salt run motor, I double the age when trying to figure a fair price because unless it has been outstandingly maintained it may be nothing more than a collection of seized hardware - which may run fine until you have to try and replace something.

If running decently and compression and ignition check out ok, unless the motor was also, otherwise exceptional, I would expect it to sell for somewhat less than 1500.

Aside from the price, unless I'm mistaken this would be Yami's 3 cylinder, loop charged, 42.something cubic inch engine - ideal for producing 40 horses..."

"Hi Graham,
Thanks for your r

"Hi Graham,
Thanks for your reply. As you say, s/w run motors can be v. iffy. At least I'm moving forward from looking at an '84 Mariner ;- ) I'd have to check, but memory is that the pics of said engine w/ cowling off look like 2 plugs only & this is spec (2-cyl.) for the version shown on Yamaha's Australian site. Seller indic. that engine 'excellent' except a broken skeg 'repaired professionally' & that he was looking to re-power w/ Yam 40 4 str. & that the hydrofoils not included. I'm wondering from last comment what size boat it is on. Anyway, with your comment & own caution in mind, I think that I'll take a miss on this one.

You mention that the 2010 Yam 50 2-stroke still avail. is ca. 5 K Can. Is it possible to get some contact info for a vendor? The two dealers closest here haven't mentioned this in my prev. inquiries. The other factor is that my present boat, Alumcraft V16 rated only to 40 hp as stock, though I've modified this to raise freeboard ~ 4" w/ extra flotation accordingly. I could apply to TC for new cap. plate, but wonder if it is worth the bother w/ 52" chine & 4-6 deg d/r when the 25/30 on it now push more than adequate solo & allow min. squat w/ spare 6 hp mounted. Decisions .. I rattle on.

Thanks again.
P. Ryan"

"Pierre, I can dig out a coupl

"Pierre, I can dig out a couple dealers on the east coast that could possibly ship to ya, but suspect that after all the costs involved you may end up with a very expensive motor.

If you are looking for Yamaha quality, but in a more "budget friendly" version you may want to check out www.parsunengines.com/PARSUN_NL.php

Yamaha markets (generic) outboards under a number of different names, including Sail and Parsun's in North America.

The prices are hard to beat if you don't mind hangin' something other than a namebrand on the back..."

Back