Logo

Need help with an older motor sears 21759431

talbot

okay i got a 14 ft aluminum fr

okay i got a 14 ft aluminum from a guy that came with a trailer and an old outboard. I managed to figure out that the motor is a sears 21759431 5.5 not 7.5 hp like he said. Well anyway i was able to get the motor running right away however the motor will only start with the throttle all the way up not in the start position. when on the water i can only move the throttle a little farther which means i move very slow. i dont think its adjusted properly. how do i adjust the motor so that it starts in the start position and gives me more room to move the throttle and get more speed? thanks for any help

"Nicolas, you are correct abou

"Nicolas, you are correct about the horsepower. That's a 1972, 5.5 horse Eska built model.

The "motor" part is a Tecumseh 643-14A model.

The motor is a fairly simple design, used in other applications such as lawnmowers as well.

Your issue could be as simple as a linkage adjustment on the carb (ensure the carb butterfly is opening fully and if not, loosen and adjust the linkage) or the carb may need a rebuild.

A manual for Tecumseh engines, available from any small engine shop would definately assist you. If you do require the carb kit it is Tecumseh part number DI-52030, also available from any small engine place that sells Tecumseh parts..."

when you say carb butterfly ar

when you say carb butterfly are you refering to the screw underneath the throttle adjustment? if so i did mess with it a little but was unsure of which direction it should be turned it is also very difficult to get my hands in there to turn it

if I were able to make it so t

if I were able to make it so that the throttle adjustment could move farther do you think that would fix it? ie tightening the throttle cable or something?

"Hi Nicolas, I believe the scr

"Hi Nicolas, I believe the screw you are reffering to (on the output of the carb) Is the idle adjustment screw, If i am correct turn it clockwise until tight, then back it out about 1 1/2 turns, That should be close enough to get your idle correct, Now On the air intake end of the carb, He is reffering to that butterfly, When you have the throttle completely open the butterfly should be wide open, And check to see if the rear throttle butterfly is wide open, Good luck.... Bob"

Back