Logo

Help Honda 90 poppet valve and spring LOST

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
"I had some broken bolts and f

"I had some broken bolts and finally was able to drill a couple of new holes but not too deep but I felt good enough to get everything back on as long as I used good grade of silicone gasket maker as someone in this discussion board suggested. All went kind of OK but I dropped the black poppet and the spring in the black deep canal water. After having been out there for hours getting this far and having had to wait weeks for the O rings from Honda, I went ahead and installed everything back without the poppet and spring and I'm letting it cure overnight. Somebody out there please tell me what I might expect if I run it like this. Is that poppet and spring absolutely necessary? I mean I know the motor needs it for something but will it run without it and what damage if any can I cause. Or is it more some kind of release mechanism which is good to have but not absolutely necessary. I'm in your hands for comments PLEASE.!"

You need that valve in place o

You need that valve in place or too much water will dump off. That valve is a pressure relief valve...when the water pump is pushing more water than the engine can handle the valve opens from the pressure and dumps it. Without any restriction there at all you will loose to much of the coolant.

I am going to give this a shot

I am going to give this a shot now. I found the valve. Can someone give me an opinion on the following:
1) Should I cut off maybe one turn off the spring so that I have a little less pressure while trying to get this all installed with the silicone on it?
2) Can anybody recommend a product I can use to stick to the spring and poppet valve to hold them in place while I attempt to install everything. It needs to be sticky yet water soluble so that it will just wash away and not cause any problem.
Thanks

Oh and Ollie Rose thanks for y

Oh and Ollie Rose thanks for your detailed information why I needed that valve in place ultimately leading up to my decision to replace it.

Just in time:
I got your firs

Just in time:
I got your first message about replacing it. Now I'm asking the 2 questions above. I already know from you and Rollie Rose that the poppet and the spring are necessary. Thanks

"Do not cut the spring, if you

"Do not cut the spring, if your working on the boat on the water where the spring could be lost again....pull the boat out of the water to make the job easier. It takes only a few minutes to get the boat ashore. Then you can take your time and get the job done right...even if it takes a few trys."

George let me explain your wat

George let me explain your water flow function

The thermostat controls the flow of water upto about 1800-2200 rpms it maintains the temp around 143 deg once the throttle goes down water pressure forces the bypass valve open against the spring and allows cold water to flow through the engine without being controlled by the thermostat.

Once you slow down and the bypass valve closes the thermostat controls the water flow and temp

Back