Logo

50 hp honda rough idle

simship

"I have a 50hp honda which ,wh

"I have a 50hp honda which ,whatever i try,i can't get to idle properly.I've stripped and cleaned the carbs (float valves and float heights are fine). Pilot screws are set as per the clymer manual (assuming this is correct) and i've synched them as best as i can (although the idle is rough i've got them within 2"hg ).The fuel filter is new too.It has a nasty tendency to die when you least want it to(just before requiring astern propulsion).Once it's revving it runs a treat until you throttle off and go into neutral which is when it plays it's other favourite game and the revs shoot up to around 2000 making it impossible to engage a gear again if you want to keep the gearbox in one piece. Turn it off at the ignition and start it again and it's fine(but still rough).Does anyone know what the dashpot thingy does?Could it be the problem? Any help would be hugely appreciated. I'm sure it's probably quite a simple fix but the solution eludes me."

"Firstly,when u screw the pilo

"Firstly,when u screw the pilot screws right in (clockwise ) does this make any difference to the idle ? The dashpot is for slow return to base idle.
Also, have you checked for vacuum leaks? A simple way to check for leaks is to spray carby cleaner around the manifold where the carbs bolt on and where it bolts to the head, if idle varies significantly, pin point the area..........and there is your leak. Hope this helps."

Back