Logo

Lower Unit Drain Plug cant remove

mwp1023

"I have a new BF50 and can not

"I have a new BF50 and can not remove the drain plug in order to change the lower unit oil. I assume the factory really cranked it down, but I can not get it off. Any tips or tricks for getting it off?"

You need to give it a solid wh

You need to give it a solid whack. I've used an old crappy screw driver that was already damaged. Put the screw driver on the drain plug and give it a good smack with a heavy hammer. It will come out easy afterwards.

M be very carefull i have had

M be very carefull i have had many apprentices hit a screw drive into the drain bung and damage the gearcase through cracking it. you can tap it in an anticlockwise direction to loosen it

I usually put the biggest scre

I usually put the biggest screwdriver on it that will fit in the slot of the screw. Then I put a vise grip pliers on the blade of the screwdriver.
Push like H--L on the end of the screwdriver and use the visegrips to turn the screwdriver (CCW).

"I do the same thing as Robert

"I do the same thing as Robert. Big screwdriver in the slot, tap, tap, tap with a small hammer, then attach vice grips to the handle of the screwdriver and push hard, and slow turn the vice grips. HOWEVER, I'm looking for a hex head cap screw with matching threads, so I can use an allen wrench. Why didn't Honda think of that?"

A good addition to your tool c

A good addition to your tool chest would be a manual impact screwdriver.

A cylindrical steel tool with spring loaded cams inside that you just hold with a little pressure in direction you want and tap end with a hammer.

Not expensive and should come with a set of bits for various screw size and types of heads.

"Ahhhh... ala, "Zen and th

"Ahhhh... ala, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"....

FYI...one of these tools will readily (once you get the hang of using it) remove screws (and nuts and bolts if you get the correct adapters) that would be destroyed by "traditional" methods."

"Must have for motorcycle [img

"Must have for motorcycle
or outboard maintenance $25 at Sears (Craftsman) 200 ft. lb. of torque!...
Read Full Item Description:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanic s+Tools&sName=Automotive+Specialty+Tools#descriptionAnchor

Or similar imported versions online for under $20 + shipping."

Back