Logo

Mercruiser 350 MPI misfiring under load

"i have 502 mag mpi's.

"i have 502 mag mpi's. very similar injection and let me tell you what i found one day w/ a very similar situation....

the injection fires the injectors in pairs. i had one injector that was bad. shorted to ground. what it did was kill that pair and, i suspect confused the hell out of the rest... and the motor would do exactly what yours does. and the fuel pressure gage woill lie to you because even tho it says you have 38 to 42 psi, two or more of the injectors have stopped working so you are getting zero fuel delivery there. the diagnostic is to pull the injectors and test fire them using the scanner and a make shift hi pressure fuel rig that costs about 2o bucks to make. you pressure the injector and then test fire it and if you get a nice spray pattern then thats a good one... and if you don't then its not.

ive got 20 bucks that says you have at least one bad injector.

also... if you are going to keep that motor, the buy yourself the FACTORY workshop manual... not the seloc or aftermarket trash. get the factory manual and a scanner and if you can read and run a VO meter, you can do these diagnostics yourself. the book makes it a breeze."

"Sorry Steve, 20 bucks please.

"Sorry Steve, 20 bucks please.
happy.gif
. It has brand new injectors in it. that was the last thing my mechanic changed, before I went back to the old engine owner. they are still in there and I have to give them back to mercury still."

"Apparantly it is running alot

"Apparantly it is running alot better and the miss is now back at about 3000 rpm and you can power through it to high revs where it runs fine again.he says he found a few loose live wires in the back of the boat and has replaced the battery cables since the boat cut out when he turned the other day.
He has checked the battery spec and it is right on the low limit of what is needed for an engine like this, so he is going to try replacing that and see what that does. be interesting to see what that does as the Merc guy thought it was ok."

Back