Logo

318 mess

brianmc

"It turns out my old water pum

"It turns out my old water pump was on upside down as my old engine was a reverse model. Single engine Marinette. Now I have a new/remanufactured 318 standard rotation model. What do I have to do to make the switch? I know the distributor gear, prop, and starter need changed. Any thing else? What do I have to do to the transmission? It is a velvet drive 1:1 71c model."

"Brian,
Only issue I can addr

"Brian,
Only issue I can address is the water pump. I noticed on my twin engines that the hoses were reversed on the counter rotating motor. Apparently the pump works fine it just has a reversed intake and output.
Eddie"

"Correct, Eddie.

Brian:

"Correct, Eddie.

Brian:

The reverse rotators use a different distributor (it has a special thrust bearing inside) but the oil pump is the same. The cam and oil pump drive gear is different. Ditto the starter and the trans oil pump is set up the ohter way around.

Jeff"

"Jeff, if I understand, I need

"Jeff, if I understand, I need a different starter (which I knew)and different distributor and gear. How do you deal with the trans oil pump?"

"You can use a reverse rotator

"You can use a reverse rotator distributor on a "normal" rotation motor, but not visa-versa.

The front of the trans has to come apart to reverse the oil pump. Never done it myself, sorry.

Jeff"

Back