Logo

What siz of trolling motor do i need

nrwilliamson24

i have been told that for ever

i have been told that for every 100 lbs you need 2 lbs thrust. it that accurate. i have an 86 four winns 170 that i would like to put a trolling motor on but don't know exactly what size of shaft and how big to get. any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks alot

"I'm assuming this is a 17

"I'm assuming this is a 17foot boat? If so I would suggest an 8hp kicker and a 25" shaft. The longer shaft prevents cavitation in choppier waters. Yamaha makes a nice 8hp 4 stroke with a very good charging system and options like electric start, power tilt and a high thrust gearcase. All are worthwhile options."

i had thought about that but i

i had thought about that but i have a swim deck along the whole back of the boat. yes it is 17 ft. i wasn't trying to spend a lot of money but thought i would try to find something used. just didn't know how big of a trolling motor i needed.

I have a 10hp.longshaft evinru

I have a 10hp.longshaft evinrude on my 17' bayliner and it works fine even with a good breeze blowing.

"Nick......

I have a 2001 T

"Nick......

I have a 2001 Tahoe i/o that is equipped with a 54IB thrust bow mounted trolling motor. In the wind and strong current, this motor does a great job. Just used it the other day and the Mississippi was running very high and fast. It worked just fine."

Back