Logo

1984 model 350hp 454 question

denis_k

What is expected life of the 4

What is expected life of the 454 if it is properly maintained and not pushed over 3400rpms. Engines currently have 1100 hours oil pressure 35 at idle 40 at 2500rpm 40 at 3200rpm 42 at 4000rpm on the port and temp is at 175. Starboard engine oil pressure 40 at idle 45 at 2500rpm and 50 at 4200rpm temp reads 180.
Any opinions on the data are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"Salt water? You gotta figur

"Salt water? You gotta figure that you are near the end of the life expectancy of those engines. That said, it could run for years with out any problems...."

"The life of exactly what? th

"The life of exactly what? the block? Mine are 1975's, salt water 24/7, original alternators, coolant and oil pumps, oil pan and original distributors. One has original pistons. Both have new rings and bearings. Second set of manifolds, several sets of risers, 3rd set of ig wires, 2nd carb set. AND, I go WOT frequently..."

"we used to use these targets

"we used to use these targets for major inspections, in the shop I used to work at:

top end @ 1000-1200 hours, bottom end @ 2500 hours. If you keep high quality, clean oil in them and the compression is still up, keep on going.

Mine are 1986's - always in the brine and got to 3100 hours before we rebuilt them. Mobil 1 full synthetic oil"

I have used Mobil 1 in cars et

I have used Mobil 1 in cars etc since the 70's - but what weight do you run in these engines?

"It is used in salt water, new

"It is used in salt water, new risers,new fresh and raw water pumps, manifolds and carbs last season. Use 15w40 oil. If i go to mobile one should i keep using 15w40."

Run the thinnest multi weight

Run the thinnest multi weight you can get away with (meaning without a loss of cruising rpm oil pressure). Any more oil pressure than needed overworks the oil pump and burns gas needlessly (and we all want to save gas $$).

I run 10W30 in mine.

Jeff

we started with 20W-50 but tha

we started with 20W-50 but that became hard to find. Since then the 15W-40 has been working just fine. recently it has become the 15W-50 product.

"I just purchased a 1983, 40&#

"I just purchased a 1983, 40' Silverton that has twin 454/350's. (I think) Where is the MODEL IDENTIFICATION/SERIAL NUMBER located on these engines?}"

"look for a silverish plate bo

"look for a silverish plate bolted at the rear of the engine, over top of the bellhousing"

Back