Logo

Prop selection

sa_cop

How do you begin to select the

How do you begin to select the right prop? How do I know which one is the proper one for my '81 Johnson 60 hp? Thanks.

"It depends on the boat. Do y

"It depends on the boat. Do you have a tachometer? The best thing is to set up the boat with a normal load for whatever you typically do. Throw on the prop and hit the water. With that load you should be able to hit 5,500 RPM. If you can't, then you're over propped and need to go down in pitch. If you exceed 5,500RPM you're under propped and need to increase pitch.

As a general rule, for every 1 inch of change in pitch you change engine speed by 200 RPM. So, for example, if a 13 1/4 X 17 prop gives you 5100RPM, a 13 3/4 X 15 prop would give you about 5,500RPM.

Also note that a cupped prop (trailing edge of the blades is slightly curled) will run about 200 to 300 RPM lower than a non-cupped.

I'm sorry there's no hard and fast rule for choosing a prop, but boat weight and hull design drastically effect prop selection.

Below is a link to a pretty good guide for choosing a prop:
http://www.theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/how_to_choose_the_correct_propeller. html

KJ"

its best to have a tach before

its best to have a tach before you start changing props.......that way you can tell if you need to go up or down in pitch.

you can find them on this site

you can find them on this site..........and its the cheapest ive found........cabelas and a few others ive looked at have the same parts only more expensive.

i believe they are around $65....just look to your right under "electronics" and go to "gauges and compasses".......i like the white ones with black #s...teleflex is the brand i have.

Thanks for the info but how do

Thanks for the info but how do I figure out the particulars when buying a prop? I mean does it matter? Can I put any and all props on this motor and then do the trail by error thing?

""Can I put any and all pr

""Can I put any and all props on this motor and then do the trail by error thing?"

Yes you can, if you can borrow them to try, but if you are buying them you'll likely end up with a lot of money tied up in props you can't use."

first thing i would do is get

first thing i would do is get a tach and see what your current rpms are..........of course with different loads you will ahev different results.....some people are fortunate enough to be able to buy and have many different props ---- depending on the load and condtions the props can be easily changed to meet specific needs.

you will need your model # handy to get the prop to fit your eng......prop shaft splines and diameter are specific to certain year/models.

and there are many brnads to choose from..........the one i want for my 115 is $489....the wife says no way....so im making due with what ive got for now.........im runnin a 13x19 cupped stainless.

"John as stated by other membe

"John as stated by other members you need a tacho to select the right prop for your boat.

Initially it is an educated guess by the dealer who fitted the boat out as to what prop it should have,but i would say by experience you will end up with a 15 or 17 pitch prop."

How do you tell what type of p

How do you tell what type of prop you have? I checked mine and all I could find was 15" stamped on the side.

it should have some markings o

it should have some markings on it close to the hub......mine was on the inner side---had to remove the prop to see it.

Back