Logo

Trim Cylinder

ilver

Does anybody know what kind of

Does anybody know what kind of tool is used to remove the caps from the trim cylinder in a 290 DP. They are leaking and they need o-rings.

"Volvo Penta, to my knowledge,

"Volvo Penta, to my knowledge, has not offered any repair kits for these cylinders, therefore, has not offered any special tools.
You are on your own, so to speak.
Use caution when removing the hydraulic lines.
Heat is your friend on anything like this when attempting to disassemble.

I have heard of some seal and O ring parts being available thru specialized hydraulic parts suppliers."

"I just rebuilt my cylinders&#

"I just rebuilt my cylinders(trim tilt) and purchased the kit from, I think, Marineengines online. To remove the end caps, I tapped them loose(gently) with a metal punch. Correct tool to use is a spanner wrench...."

"Brian,
When I do this work

"Brian,
When I do this work for others, I've not wanted to be responsible for anything but a new replacement cylinder. However, it would be interesting to have the seal #'s, O ring #'s and any other part numbers that you can share with me! This 290 trim cylinder with age, can eventually have some issues.

Just an FYI; the 290 SP or DP is the drive with the SS cylinder swing bracket and reverse latch unit. So the cylinders (852755) are not the same as the DP-C cylinders (3860881), however, they may take some of the same seals/O rings.... I don't know.
But if you don't mind.... can you forward p/n's to me please?"

"Like bearings, seals are some

"Like bearings, seals are something design engineers like to specify out of a catalog if they at all can find one to do the job.."

Agreed. But Volvo Penta has be

Agreed. But Volvo Penta has been known to use some of their own and uniquely manufactured parts that would otherwise be a fairly common bearing or seal.
Be interesting to find out though.

"The part #8654247(marinep

"The part #8654247(marinepartsexpress.com). Seal kit contained o-rings,a metal scraper(?) that fit into the groove on the piston and an end cap seal.The kit was $27 and change and so far no leak. Time will tell..."

Back