Logo

1996 60hp Evinrude

kaddiddle

I am looking to purchase an ol

I am looking to purchase an older boat that has this 60 hp on it. I took the boat out today on a test run. Crunk fine and ran smooth. After several minutes the motor wanted to shut off when idleing like it runs out of gas. The motor would start right back up with no problems. Any Ideas? Also the owner noted he had the oil injector taken off and now just uses mixed gas but does not recall the ratio. The owner is 83 years old. Can someone give me the right ratio and an estimate of what this motor is worth.

welcome to marineengine!!

welcome to marineengine!!

50:1 fuel to oil ratio.

value is debatable.......what kind of boat is it on?

after it dies and restarts does this continue to happen or is it just the initial start-up?

"Thanks, it is on a 79 monark

"Thanks, it is on a 79 monark model 1644P. It idles fine at cold start-up but after a lap in the lake it wants to shut off after about 20 sec of being placed in neutral or just put in gear. could this be the primer bubble?"

sounds like you may have an ai

sounds like you may have an air leak in one of your fuel lines or maybe one of the connectors......those little o-rings go bad.

it could also be dirty carbs or contaminated fuel......all are easily fixed and inexpensive.

do you know if it has been used regularly or if it has sit for a while?

does it have a tach?.....if so what rpm does it idle?

man says it has not been in th

man says it has not been in the water for 2 years but he runs it with the muffs every month or 2. no tach.

"if he would let you do a comp

"if he would let you do a compression check that would be great...........you want all the cyl #s to be within 10% of each other.

also remove the drain plug on the lower unit.......hardly any oil should run out if any..........water coming out is very bad and can get expensive unless you are mechanically inclined..........its best to check for water in the lower unit before it has been used ie after it has sit over night.....also if the oil is gray it also means water contamination.

a boat in my area that runs, even poorly, will go for around $2500........of course the nicer the interior the higher the prices go"

the fuel probably has started

the fuel probably has started to go bad and the carbs could be a lil dirty..........depending on wether or not he uses fuel conditioner.

also running on muffs ie idling will kill (foul) your plugs........a 2-stroke needs to let loose every once in a while to burn off some of the extra oil/fuel that doesnt get burned at an idle.

i dare say if it ran well on the water and had no unusual noises it is more than likely something minor........

Back