Logo

Steering is very tight

tbrownarcher

"I have a Triton bass boat. a

"I have a Triton bass boat. a 1999 with a 150 hp Johnson on it.

We have been fixing this thing up but for the most part it's in working order. The motor has incredible power almost jumping out of the hole to plane.

However the steering is horridly tight. I haven't checked anything yet except that I greased 2 zerks on one of the shafts in front of the motor. I can't find any other zerks on the whole thing so I'm kinda stumped as to what would be causing the tightness. Is there some adjustment or could something be bent or what if anything does anyone have too suggest ??

I went out ot take a picture of the hardware to post here and It sure looks like I could clean the shafts off and grease them. But that's all I know to do ... what kind of grease ?

Thanks,
Nate"

"Nate,
the first thing I

"Nate,
the first thing I would do is disconnect the steering arm from the motor and then try the steering wheel and if free moving then move the motor by hand.

You could have a seized steering cable, so need to determine what is "sticking"."

"Graham:
The steering cable m

"Graham:
The steering cable may be the problem but what about the rods ? The motor after disconnecting is easy to turn .... but the steering wheel turns hard ... not as hard but plenty hard. Is there a way to lubricate this thing?

Thanks,
Nate"

"most likely,it is a bad steer

"most likely,it is a bad steering cable...in that case,..u need to repl it,..and i recommend repl the helm assm at the same time,(the steering box)"

"JW:

I don't know what

"JW:

I don't know what the steering box is. I'm sorry i would not ask if i could find my OEM manual. I just got out of surgery for hernias 12 days ago and don't feel like tearing up the Garage to find it.

Is there a box under the steering wheel your talking about ?

Thanks,
Nate"

"the helm,--steering box---is

"the helm,--steering box---is the entire mechanism,on dash,...except for st wheel,..and,u can get an entire kit,that comes w/a new st wheel."

"How do i get the cables out o

"How do i get the cables out of the tubes... i never get left right of the boat so looking at the right side looking forward do you unscrew those large nuts from the end of the cable/tube connection or is there something on the other end of it you do first

Thanks,
Nate"

"When you turn your steering w

"When you turn your steering wheel, it turns a rod that goes through the dash and connects to a gear which turns the cable, pushing and pulling the cable which attaches to the rod going through bracket on your motor. That mechanism the steering wheel rod goes through is the helm, probably a black enclosure which resembles something circular in nature. One side coming into the box is the cable that goes out to the motor, and on the other side is the cable jacket which the excess cable slides into when turning. When you disconnect the cable (uncrew that big plastic nut) that goes out to the engine, you should be able to turn the wheel, pushing the rest of the cable out of the helm. Then you unscrew it from the steering mount on the motor, and fish the whole cable out, including the tube it's wrapped in. Sometimes, pulling it out is very tough because its very rigid! Bring the cable to the parts store, and make sure you get the same size cable with the kit. The kit will give you a whole new assembly. You will have to take off your steering wheel, then unbolt the helm from underneath and remove."

Back