Logo

Buying advice 1972 4HP or 1991 8HP

kevinj

Advanced Contributor
"I have a 14' shallow draf

"I have a 14' shallow draft jon boat, thin gauge that seats up to 3 people. I'd like to get a small gas powered outboard for it to scoot around the lake. Currently I only have oars and a trolling motor which makes it difficult to get to distant fishing spots on bodies of water larger than a farm pond.

I have a chance to buy either a 1972 Evinrude 4HP ($200) or a 1991 Johnson 8HP ($650). Outside of the age difference, is there anything that stands out as a problem for either of these motors? I know the 4HP is direct drive and the 8HP has F-N-R. Are there any particular problems that I should look for?

Do those prices sound about right for these motors? Would the 4HP push this boat well or should I look at the extra power of the 8HP?

Thanks
KJ"

"Kevin, I think you would appr

"Kevin, I think you would appreciate the 8 horse alot more. I think the 4 would struggle against a head wind.

I run a 2.5 horse Evinrude as a "kicker" on my 14' aluminum and under perfectly calm conditions it will give me about 3 mph, which is great for trolling, but in any wind or cross wind it can't really hold a straight line - I would expect the 72, 4 horse (which is about 3.5 horses measured by todays standards) to give roughly the same performance.

The 91 model will have a modern ignition system (nice) and it is almost 20 years newer - also would have better parts support from a dealer.

Both prices sound good if they are both running fine. I would expect an 8 horse of that vintage to bring in more (upwards of 1000 bucks) in the used market."

"Fantastic advice Graham. Tha

"Fantastic advice Graham. That kind of direct application is exactly what I was hoping to find.

I figured the 4HP was a point-condenser ignition, which isn't the end of the world, but all of my outboard experience is with CDI so I would know how to work on that much easier.

I'm not looking to set any speed records with boat, but getting from A to B relatively quickly would be nice. I looked up the "value" on NADAguides.com and it showed about $250 for the 8HP. I kind of laughed at that because I knew these small motors tend to demand a pretty fair price. So then I guess $650 is probably pretty fair if the motor is in good condition.

Thanks.

KJ"

"Yes, 650 for that vintage, ru

"Yes, 650 for that vintage, running in decent cosmetic shape could be consided a very good deal and I really think you would appreciate that motor.

If you got the 4 within a very short period you would be "wishing" you had of picked up the 8..."

Back