Logo

Push button on shift handle doesnbt work

ba_50

Regular Contributor
I have to use pliers to pull t

I have to use pliers to pull the knob in and out on the lower end of the handle. Can it be fixed? There is no spring under the knob.

What is the button for half way up the handle below the trim button?

The boat is a 1998 with 165hp Mercruiser.

I forgot where the start position was for this throttle. It will start in the forward position but not in neutal. The choke link is missing.

Thanks.

"Hi Bob, Sounds like your cont

"Hi Bob, Sounds like your control needs to be dissembled, cleaned and re-greased. the button ins't supposed to have a spring behind, it's further inside. The Square buttonr half-way up is the "trailering" button and should raise the drive completely, where when using the trim button to raise the drive should stop part way. The trim up button is limited by the "trim limit switch" physically located on the outdrive (left or right I forget at the moment) so when the trim limit switch dies you can use the "trailering" button to trim the drive up under power.. just not to much else you'll damage the u-joints and gimbal bearing.

If the engine is starting in forward then the neurtral safety switch is by-passed ( not safe ) OR your KNOB at the bottom is IN and you are in NEUTRAL ( button in with the handle centered puts the lever into neutral-throttle only ) Button out lets the lever shift F/R and throttle at the same time. If you can't "feel" where neutral is then the control box needs repair, with the ENGINE OFF, put the shifter in different positions and see if the PROP moves without making noise in the lower. If the prop locks in one direction rachets in the other your IN GEAR."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
251116.jpg
"

"Brian,

I lucked out by spr

"Brian,

I lucked out by spraying lube in the center handle and pulling the knob in and out. Works good now. Thanks."

"awesome !! the choke lever on

"awesome !! the choke lever on that side isn't critical, it's mainly to open the choke(if not warmed up yet) when full throttle is given ( can't see the lever behind ) sometimes they are stepped to set a slightly hight idle when the choke is closed."

Back