Logo

Dt 75 starting

4213paul

"Firstly Hi all and hope someo

"Firstly Hi all and hope someone can help. Recently purchased a 17ft driver with a dt75 suzuki outboard approx 93. Had been stood up approx 3years when I purchased it. Removed stripped and clean carbs, replaced fuel/oil etc. My problem is (and started before the boat was layed up), Took the boat out today and all ran fine except when I drop down to tickover then try to pull away again engine stalls. will then not start unless I trim the engine right up, Then starts easily. I then have to select gear, feather throttle to increase the revs to about 1000rpm, trim back down and away. The only bad bit is from tickover to about 1000 revs. Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance Paul,"

Thanks for reply. How do I set

Thanks for reply. How do I set floats properly and do you think this will cure starting and flat spot? Paul.

"The factory settings are a li

"The factory settings are a little screwy.I can give that info if you like but this is the way we do them here. I have found through the thousands of DT carbs I have cleaned over the years it is best to invert the carb and set float height with a slight lean toward the top of the carb body. (Almost level but not quite.)If you follow the book you will find the above method will get you right in the same ball park.

Also keep in mind that some of the older Suzuki engines used a air mixture screw to adjust low speed mixtures. So turning a mixture screw out could cause the enigne to run leaner not rich. Your allowing more air in. Try setting your low speed mixture screws at 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns out. If my memory serves me correctly. If not try a leaner condition 1 3/4 to 2 1/4. I always set all three the same the engine has balance tubes and will equalize on its own. Not self synchronizieng though, any time you remove carbs you need to synch them.

Example: try a setting of 1.5 turns on all three carbs. If to rich go to to 1.75 or 2 turns. Always better to set it a little rich than a little lean. keep me posted"

Back