Logo
Click for Chrysler parts and manuals!

Default "Brand new here so hi everyone

"Brand new here so hi everyone. I have a 1979 Trojan Sportfisherman 30'. It has twin 318's with about 1100 hours on them according to the meter. Ive owned the boat for three years now and it has been an awesome boat. It went in the water today and I went down to move it aways up the Middle River on the Chesapeake. The port engine started up right away as she always has, even after sitting drydock all winter. You cant beat this engine. However the starboard engine always give me problems starting up when it's cold. It took me roughly 3 hours to get it started and to my shock there was water gushing profusely out of the side of the engine once it was running. Would this be a cracked block maybe or maybe a gasket somewhere on the engine. I can really get my head down there to see it without resting it on the exhaust. Any thoughts on this. I'm not a mechanic and I dont know alot about the engines. Now i'm pretty mechaniccly inclined and can fix whatever I need to but as far as troubleshooting i'm not much good. I look forward to hearing the bad news. One more thing, I am pretty sure it is not leaking from the hose on the water pump."

Default Could be a frost plug has been

Could be a frost plug has been dislodged. If so could be a quick and cheap fix..if you can access it.

Default "I agree with the freeze plug.

"I agree with the freeze plug. I had one let go on my 360 last spring during the first run of the year. If you can get your head down there to look, there should be 3 or 4 plugs that are pressed in place on the side of your block. If that's the culprit, you should see one "missing" or pushed out of place. Should be an easy fix.

Just be thankful the water isn't coming from behind the bell housing - that's where mine let go. Talk about a pain. 8 hours of labor to change a $0.50 plug."

Default Thanks guys I never thought of

Thanks guys I never thought of the freeze plug I just thought of the worse. When cold I think I can get my head down there and look closer.

Default "Warning! When the freeze plu

"Warning! When the freeze plugs push out, the block is usually cracked wide open below the intake manifold.

Jeff"

Default FastJeff is right on that poin

FastJeff is right on that point. I've seen block valleys crack and the expansion plugs stay intact. You might want to check your oil for any water contamination before and after re-plugging.
    DS

Default Did you check to see if the dr

Did you check to see if the drain cock was closed?