Logo

Problem starting 130 HP V4 Saltwater Series Yamaha

95south

"Hi - I have read through a nu

"Hi - I have read through a number of the posts/threads related to problems starting the motor and thought today I would be able to start my engine no problems... unfortunately not.

Apologies for the length of this post but thought better if I spelled out what I have been doing in the hope that someone can point me right!

The motor is a 2002 Yamaha 130 HP Saltwater series v4 that has been regularly serviced. I purchased motor/boat approx 6 mths ago and in the last mth have begun to run into problems starting. I am in New Zealand - so end of summer and not super cold yet.

The instructions I was given from the previous owner to start the motor were as follows:
1 - Turn Battery On
2 - Prime Petrol Line to Motor
3 - If Cold pull choke out on bottome left hand corner of motor
4 - Lower Motor
5 - Push Key in at least twice
6 - Lift up lever of speed control. Lower this once motor starts
7 - Turn key as you would for your car
8 - Once motor fires up push choke back in
9 - Allow motor to warm up
10 - Check that there is water coming out of the motor outlet

Ok... so that worked for a few months - however in the last month when starting the motor it has not started but just keeps turning over. Eventually after giving engine chance to settle (thinking maybe flooded engine) it will eventually start with a turn of key and puff of white exhaust.

I then checked the manual (and then this site) and discovered this checklist was not accurate. The manual states:
1 - Press in and hold the main switch (key) to operate the remote choke system
2 - The remote choke sytems returns to its home position when you release your hand - therefore keep the switch (key) pressed in
3 - It is not necessary to use the choke when the engine is warm
4 - Set the choke to the home position or the remote choke system will not operate
5 - Turn the main switch to start and hold for maximum 5 seconds
6 - If the engine does not start within 5 seconds return to the main switch to on and wait 10 seconds and then crank the engine again.

OK... so after reading this I tried today -

1 - Pump fuel ball with arrow pointing up until hard
2 - Pushed key in (to engage remote choke system) and turned....

nothing

Tried # 2 again and
nothing

After several more attempts I then reverted to pushing the key on its own and then turning... nothing.

Tried the throttle, manual choke, pushing, not pushing and turning you name it I tried it (waiting for several minutes between attemps and using the 4hp auxillary to troll)...

finally the engine started and to be honest I have no idea what I did.

One question to clarify is the pushing and turning the key or pushing separately - then turning (without pushing)the key to start?

All help appreciated - I am beginning to think that I need to take the engine back into the mechanic.

Thanks & Tight Lines"

"Try priming the fuel system w

"Try priming the fuel system with the primer bulb
lift the cold start lever, you will notice a small amount of lost motion befor it does anything...half way will be fine...turn key to on and push key in and turn at the same time.
The motor will burst into life and release the key, lower the warm up lever so the motor runs at a fast idle until warm..then lower the fast idle lever down and go boating"

Thanks for that - will give th

Thanks for that - will give that a go the next time we are out.
We had similar problems yesterday reverted to the outboard to troll and then waited and finally got it started by using the manual choke on engine without the fast throttle and turning the key (no pushing). Outside weather temperature was pretty warm (70 F).
What other boaties are telling us - is that sometimes no matter what the instructions for your engine might tell you - each has its own idiosynchrises (sp) and once you find what works use that... which just doesnt seem right to me?

thanks again though! will let you know how we get on.

Thanks for all the help! JIT

Thanks for all the help! JIT yours was the winner and just in case this helps others here is the start up sequence we are using that starts first time:
1 - Pump primer bulb
2 - Manual Choke Out
3 - Fast Idle Up
3 - Turn the key
4 - Engine Starts
5 - Push choke in
6 - After engine warms up - Fast Idle down
7 - Happy Boating!

Thanks again! Tight Lines.

Back