Logo

74L OMC King Cobra Shifting Problem

techguy111

"Hi I am new to this site and

"Hi I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone out there has any idea on this problem I am having with my boat.
Here it is if I cruse at any speed for 10 minutes or so then try to go into reverse nothing happens, but if I wait for 5 or so minutes motor running or not it will then go into reverse!
Thanks
happy.gif
"

"Welcome

Mr.Hill would be t

"Welcome

Mr.Hill would be the best man for this he is the ( KING )
rofl.gif

Sorry Bob had to say that.

Frank"

"Thanks Frank <[img]"http://ww

"Thanks Frank
uhoh.gif

Geoff...unfortunately despite what Frank says I'm not the King for this type of drive. This would have to be at least a 1990 or newer drive. When OMC started using the 7.4 they had gone to the cone clutch for the big blocks, this is identified by the hump on top of the drive because that is where the shifting takes place instead of down in the lower unit.

Anyway...I've hear of similar problems to yours and in some cases it's been low or wrong type of lube in the drive. I would check that first against your manual."

Geoff

I'm not sure how

Geoff

I'm not sure how to send links on this site. So I e-mailed you one. Looks like it could help you. I hope it dose. Good luck

Frank

"Bob and Frank thank you very

"Bob and Frank thank you very much for the tips I will check into it and let you know how I make out.
Thanks again
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
"

Bob was just wondering if you

Bob was just wondering if you can sugest a good leg oil that I can get at my local parts store? I am going to change the oil in the leg and then go from there.
Thanks G

i've read that synthetic o

i've read that synthetic oil is not good for these cone clutch types- not enough friction for the clutch...
Paul

Re: i&#39;ve read that synthetic o

Hey team, I'm new. I have a 1990 omc king cobra paired with the 5.7 omc motor. My boat runs great until I put it in neutral and then it does not reengage into drive, unless I let it rest for 10 minutes or so or I adjust the control cable tighter. It never happens at launch only after I've run the boat for a bit.

Back