Logo

Honda BF15 Pre 1997 water pump

eggbeater

"Hey guys
My engine overheate

"Hey guys
My engine overheated last fall. I replaced the impeller, housing, tube seal and thermostat. It worked great. This week I took it back out to test it before putting it back on the boat. The tell tale was not ejecting water (slight steam). I blew out all the passages with compressed air. I disassembled the pump again to check it out. The impeller looked good, the new housing was not scored. I reinstalled and tested again. No water came up to the thermostat outlet or out the tell tale.

After being very frustrated I reluctantly disassembled the lower unit to check the impeller again. I never tested the impeller to see if it was tight to the shaft. Low and behold it was spinning free on the shaft. I pulled the impeller off to discover the steel key was buried into the impeller to the point it had busted through the plastic inner sleeve.

I think the impeller was defective. Any thoughts? It's a Sierra part made in Taiwan. I noticed the keyway on the old impeller lines up with one of the rubber blades but not on this Sierra part. Should I be looking for Honda OEM parts? I bought a 18-3280 kit which replaces Honda 06192-zv4-000. Is this the wrong part #? Also it seems the little half moon key could be a bit longer?"

"Did you check to see if the S

"Did you check to see if the Sierra key and the OEM key were of the same profile ? Some are of a square profile, while others are rounded. Also, my previous experience has been to stick with the genuine parts as inferior after market parts, generally lead to premature failure. For the cost $$ wise, and piece of mind, id much rather pay the extra and know ive got the correct part installed."

Thankyou for the clues Jon. I

Thankyou for the clues Jon. I wonder about the key too. I thought when I installed it that the flat side of the half moon key should go against the flat on the drive shaft but what that did was create added stress on the impeller's plastic inner sleeve having to accept the crown of the half moon. Less surface area means more pressure.

This never occurred to me during installation and it is not mentioned in the Seloc manual. Also the length of the key is only about one half the length of the impeller's keyway. Seems kind of puny.

"On a half moon shaped key, th

"On a half moon shaped key, the flat usually goes towards the driven element, i.e. the impeller.

If I had two impellers in my hand and one had the keyway lined up with one of the blades and another had the keyway lined up in between the blades, I'd pick the one with the keyway lined up with the blade."

The frustrating answer to this

The frustrating answer to this problem is that I have a very early manuf. BF15H four stroke motor. Someone put the wrong impeller in the pump (with key) and then I repeated the mistake when I replaced the impeller. There is no key with the correct impeller as the flat is built into the inner plastic bushing of the impeller itself. It pumps water great now as the impeller does not slip on the shaft.

Back