Logo

1989 Evinrude 200xp run way to ritch

"i used to wk at a shop,..and

"i used to wk at a shop,..and the 50 y/o guy,...great mech,...had a baggie full,..of jets.......but he tought me,to be a mech,not a bandaid mech to fix a prob..,by chging jets...we,used the jets,extremely seldom,.....but,..there r times when they r needed....by service bulletin,overhaul,..etc.....now,..i ,have become,....that 52...y/o guy..........."

To add:
Another 'item&#39

To add:
Another 'item' often forgotten when servicing fuel system on these engines is the recirculation system. Test ALL the check valves. If engine is 'sneezing' the may get clogged with carbon at the back side and stuck.
JWB:
Almost time to quit! 'Retired' myself about 5 yrs ago and went sailing! Now just past 60!

Morten your second to last pos

Morten your second to last post is one of the best I have seen in the forum thanks for sharing...

"morten---i think,..i'm go

"morten---i think,..i'm gonna keep going till 55...then,fishing and hunting time...or,..maybe i'll just sit on here all day.................."

"You guys have been vary helpf

"You guys have been vary helpful, where sould I start first? Should replace thermostat and go onto the carbs or do I need to get the VRO hooked back up? Is it ok to run the eng. this way because I want to go fishing tomarrow morning?"

"First of all, do not do anyth

"First of all, do not do anything until You know WHY You are doing it.
Check temp -if temp is unbalanced/low, then check/fix the thermostat system.
No need to hook VRO back on if You are running 2% pre-mix, but be sure You do not run more than 2%!
Might be better to run 1 3/4 - 2% than above 2%, particularly if Your main use is trolling.
You may run the engine, but try to avoid th 'sneezing' rpm range. That will inflict damage."

it depends on wether or not yo

it depends on wether or not you have fuel delivery issues or thermostat issues.

no fuel means no lubrication.......and a stuck thermostat could come unstuck long enough to stick in the wrong position ie closed.

do you have any pics of the plugs?

does it idle at all?....or do you have to give it a lil rev with the fast idle then pop it in gear?

sorry morten didnt know you ha

sorry morten didnt know you had posted and he was wanting to go fishing so he needed a quick answer...sometimes answers arent as quick as we would like though.

morten what is this 2%?....is this 50:1 in different words?

"this might sound like a stupi

"this might sound like a stupid question, but the boat I have is still all origonal and do not have a temp gauge, would the eng. even have a thermostat system with the age of the motor? Oil that I use is Pennziol senthic blen and mix exactly 50:1. I also gap my spark plug at 35 thousands. Is that about mid range gap for this eng?"

"1 unit oil - 50 units Fuel, o

"1 unit oil - 50 units Fuel, or 2 units oil - 100 units fuel gives a 2% oil mix. Find it a safer way of specifying oil/fuel mix as it takes away all funny calculations of Gal/quarts/Liters etc.
Remember this is a world wide site, and quite some people gets a bit confused about different units. US Gallons? Imperial Gallons?"

"David, I think the problem mi

"David, I think the problem might be that I am getting too much fuel. I can set in the water without the boat ingear and see fuel in the water. It depends, sometimes it runs fine out of gear and sometimes it does not. put in gear it spits and dies, give a little throttle and then it seams to run normal agin."

"Nick,
There is no such thing

"Nick,
There is no such thing as getting too much fuel, since this engine siphon via a vacuum system base on what is needs not a electronic pump forcing the fuel as you think hence carb system.
You can keep the questions coming until hell freezes over and guys like me will keep posting

You need to understand all of us are trying to give you an honest opinion.
It can only be honest base on the all the facts you reported.
Yes you now mentioned the fact the thermostats are removed.
Evinrude after years of feedback change the even the plugs they ship the units with because of an running rich issue reported
Point is you have to be patient and approach this one at a time since a plug loads up for a number of different reasons.
First and foremost install the thermostats period.
Secondly you mentioned the GAP at .35 what brand of plugs are you running ?
For example if you change from Champion plus to NGK .35 will show up on the temperature gauge at a 5 degrees hotter.
My point is your solution will be much faster if you provide all the details upfront.
You can simply start by using NGK Plugs gap at 35 with the recommend thermostats installed and test.
Don't go hooking up the VRO just yet since you will have another 20 post instructing you how this is done correctly testing the warning horn etc.
Keep it simple by doing one thing at a time and simple solutions will be sure to follow. As I have always said “we are not sending a man to the moon” just fixing and device that needs a good fuel to air ratio and good spark and you can fish for a life time!"

"On that ignition system, stay

"On that ignition system, stay off NGK 'R' plugs!Keep as close to factory standards and recommendations as possible, use the specifies Champion plugs."

"actually you can get too much

"actually you can get too much fuel-------leaking fuel pump, bad needle/seat in carb, or dirty carb---dirt keeping needle from closing.

if you have meesed with the sychronization you can also develop a sneeze at idle.......been there done that"

Back