Logo

140 prop

"All the 25" engines from

"All the 25" engines from late 80's had V6 gear cases, BUT V4 ratio. Even if a V6 case and ratio, the 10 minutes it takes to pull the bearing housing to verify C or not might be well spent!
With a V6 gear ratio, I would suggest to pick a prop that runs as close as possible to 5500 or he will loose out too much in the hole shot."

Good luck. If possible bring a

Good luck. If possible bring along a 15" prop to test as well.
Have You got the engine at right hight?
Cav plate about 1" above bottom when engine trimmed vertical (cav plate parallel to bottom).

If you have a tach installed I

If you have a tach installed I will call it here first max rpm you will see is around 4200 no more with load this drops to 3500 been there done that.
I am speaking from experience and after spending 1500 with the PROS. Trust me you confirmed the gear ratio yesterday to be a V6 which is an over kill for this engine. To see exactly what I mean you must have a TACH installed so no guessing will be involved. This engine when prop correctly needs to operate within the 5000 to 6000 range. Below 5000 the engines simply self destruct itself

"Yes I have a tac, going out i

"Yes I have a tac, going out in the morning to test this thing. Will post all info, rpms, speed, time to get on plane if it happens.
Jim"

Jim:
note that my previous rp

Jim:
note that my previous rpm comments was based on a 79 mod and not the newer looper.
You need to get above 5700 LIGHT boat or at least close to 5500 with normal load.

I agreed with Morten on the RP

I agreed with Morten on the RPM range I stand corrected ..

"ANDREW MACKHRANDILAI is the M

"ANDREW MACKHRANDILAI is the MAN! He hooked me up. I now have} a 25" V4 gear case. So I am not even going to take it out until I get the LU changed out, and a new prop going to start out with a 17 pitch, and see how that dose."

"Good luck!
When You switch a

"Good luck!
When You switch around, at least start with a fresh impeller.
Do not forget to measure the shift rod height when in NEUTRAL on the 'old' one, and be sure the 'new' one is installed with same height! Measure from flange of case up to center of hole."

Back