Logo

1972 2175880sears ted willaims outboard

rich1260

"Hello my name is rich i found

"Hello my name is rich i found a sears outboard in some ones trash it started right but ran very rough and a lot of oil went into the water after i shut it down do you think it might be the element pump and only when the motor is in gear water comes from the cooling ports and it only spits not a stream and is this motor capable to use unleaded gas can this be fixed or not worth it thank you can any one help
250797.jpg
1972 ted willaims

"I'm assuming you mean 217

"I'm assuming you mean 217-58880 as that matches up with a 1972 7.5 hp.
There is a bit more info at http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/Model21758510-58882.htm
Yes, that motor works fine with unleaded fuel at a 24:1 ratio. They still recommended regular (non-TCW oil) in that year motor - more like chainsaw type oil.
My guess is that the motor has sat for a while and is gummed up. If the motor is in otherwise good shape, a carb kit and an impeller would get that little motor going for a few more years.

The water pump setup in that motor only pumps water when it is in gear. My 5 and 7 1/2 only "spit" water, but lots of it when it is going forward

If I was right about the model number, you can find some of the parts at Sears
http://tinyurl.com/c2crkd

You are better off to get a complete carb kit, and Sears doesn't offer the flap valve. There are complete kits for sale, and I have seen them posted on this site, so you might want to look over recent Eska/Gamefisher postings.

Good luck."

"Hey Rich looks like you may h

"Hey Rich looks like you may have left out a number on your model number. what kind of oil?? was it motor from the exhaust ports or was it gear oil from the lower end. if its motor you may be running the wrong fuel/oil mix, if it was gear it may need to have the gskts replaced on the lower end. as for the water it should have a fine mist coming from the exhaust ports not a stream, this should be a air cooled motor and only the exhasut is water cooled. check out that model number to make sure what motor it is, and yes it uses unleaded gas but not sure if you should be using tcw or chainsaw type oil with your fuel at this time"

Wow That was Fast and I thank

Wow That was Fast and I thank you Wayne and Joe First the 217-58880 is my motor Iam useing Pennzoil Marine TC-W3 2 Cycle oil Premium Synthetic Blend outboard engine oil and 16once to 3 gallons of regular gas is this the right kind a gentalman at sports Authority told me he uses it in his and I went to sears and they had in stock the Element pump and both gaskets in stock and i bought them today wayne is the Flap valve differant from the Element pump there is a lot of water spiting out of the cooling ports and the oil in the water was black it was coming from the cooling ports and if you go to sears the spark plug that was used in the motor was J13y and the replacement is RJ12YC but Champion spark plug says to use RJ14YC if you Look at the plug sears says to use its longer where going in to the motor I bough bouth of them and iam using the RJ14YC Its the same size as the J13Y the RJ12 is longer OH AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

"I don't know about ounces

"I don't know about ounces to gallons, but if that's 24:1, then it's all good. Eska's and Gamefishers (same motors) of the era are kind of weird. I have a 1975 manual (and newer manuals) that say to use either "regular outboard (non-TCW) oil, or TC-W (now TC-W3) oil. It's strange in that the motor is air cooled. Haveing a liquid cooled bottom end (therefore exhaust port) must be the difference. Regardless, I have a couple old motors like this that have been running TC-W3 for years and they are fine. The pump element and the flap valve are different. If you click on the tinyurl above, it will bring you to your motor at Sears, and you can click on the carburetor link. If your motor runs fine after you get your parts in it, don't worry about it. I've just had flap valves wear out and have had difficulties finding them.
Good luck with your motor. Hopefully it runs good when you're done and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it is you that brought it back from the dead."

Well turned the screw all the

Well turned the screw all the way in started the motor with choke off had to back it out half turn to keep it running after 5 min found that 1 and a half to 2 turns out was the ticket my motor is realy running great good luck

Back