Logo

b57 Hiawatha what is this

bradleystj

"I am cleaning and making read

"I am cleaning and making ready my new to me 3.3 Hiawatha. In the top of the gear box I found this (Photo) and I'm wondering if it is some kind of water pump, or what, I don't know.
There is a cam on the shaft that fits into the rubber, and looking at the photo now I think I have it in the wrong spot. The worn area looks like it is suppose to be in the slot next to were it is now ???
Any Ideas ???

250756.jpg
part

"It is a water pump impellor..

"It is a water pump impellor....operates eccentrically.....looks like it should turn to the 3 o'clock position...don't remember too much about hiawatha outboards....they might be omc clones....The johnson 5hp outboard from the early 50's had a similar water pump...follow the two links...hopefully someone else can give you better information
http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/index.html
http://www.aomci.org/"

"Thanks guys

I am guessing

"Thanks guys

I am guessing it needs to make water as this is a water cooled engine, but does the water come out the exhaust or . . . ???

Also This photo of the carb . . .
250840.jpg

I am thinking
A. air cut off - kill switch.
B. gas valve
C. air mixture
D. ???
E. Opps, fuel leak.

I don't know much about 2 strokes
like how to adjust,
and I got it running but it was coughing and stalling at the start, and eventually ran not to bad, then may have got hot, I didn't see it make water ???

Any further ideas ????? Thanks"

"A=Choke, B is either the high

"A=Choke, B is either the high speed mixture screw or the fuel cut off(See if there is a fuel shut off near the tank), C looks like the low speed mixture valve, Can't really see what D looks like. Your motor was made by scott-atwater(McCullough)...It is almost identical to the scott-atwater engines of the same vintage...you can try googling "Scott-Atwater" for more info...if you check the archives on this site, you will also obtain more information
250872.jpg
scot

Back