Logo

Whats the longest trip youve made

"A little over 150 miles one w

"A little over 150 miles one way, one of the nicest trips I've done, sucked coming back as the wind backed & increased, 6 to 8 footers all the way home"

"If single engine counts(3

"If single engine counts(318 195hp).
No more than 40 miles from home, in a couple of different directions, from where the Detroit River, & Lake Erie meet.

Fred 156-M"

"Several years ago we cruised

"Several years ago we cruised British Columbia for 6 weeks! Last year we did 2 weeks and around 600 miles, most of it at 8 knots towing a 17' Boston Whaler.

Dan"

"Screaming along at 8 knots. H

"Screaming along at 8 knots. How thrilling! Still, it's better than sitting here, at 20 ' outside, typing instead of boating.

Jeff"

".6 mpg at 18 knots or sitting

".6 mpg at 18 knots or sitting on the bridge with my feet up at 8 knots getting 1.8 mpg, it's an easy choice with $$$$$$ gas.

Dan"

"Just or fun, I did the calcul

"Just or fun, I did the calculations for both modes: 10 gallons for the high speed vs. 4 gallons for the "feet up" mode.

In one case you are burning far less fuel while going slow for a loooong time; in the other case you're burning a lot more fuel for a far shorter time. Neiher mode is the "sweet spot" in the speed/ GPH curve that maximizes both parameters.

Question: What is you fuel burn at, say, 12 knots?

Jeff"

"The river out front here, has

"The river out front here, has a 6 mph current here.
Talk about a <u>leisurely</u> ride if your going up the river at say 8 knots.
But you can make some great time going home.

Fred 156-M"

"Here is why I slowed down 2 y

"Here is why I slowed down 2 years ago when fuel and the Canadian exchange went to hell. If I am going up north on a 300 mile trip at 18 knots burning 32 gph I will use 535 gallons, at 12 knots burning 18 GPH I will burn 454 gallons, at 10 knots burning 10 gph I use 300 gallons and at 8 knots (my hull speed) I use 174 gallons. Now to save 280 gallons and $840 at $3 per gallon I think it's worth it to go slow. I also use the tides to my benefit, sometimes it is worth 2-3 knots. These numbers only represent a one way trip up into Canada, double the savings with the return trip. I can always throttle up for bad weather or rough seas.

Dan"

"Typical of that type of hull.

"Typical of that type of hull. I'd run at 8 knots, too.

On using the tide, my marina's one negative is shallow water. We have to go down river against the tide;and when we come back, we usually end up going up river against the tide as well!

Jeff"

Robert Legates can I ask what

Robert Legates can I ask what how much fuel you used thanks..going on a 610 mile run and trying to gauge the best speed to gallon mix with elderbrock carbs 34'deep vee hull twin 360s..

"Russell,

The trip was 1380

"Russell,

The trip was 1380 miles. I did calculate an overall 20 GPH burn rate for the trip. Over half of the trip was in the ocean and the rest in the ICW (bad weather days). I took it slow with a 30 yr. old boat that I had not pulled apart yet. I probably average 12-14 kts. The fuel bill was $9600 and around 2742 gallons. The price was much higher than expected. Katrina had just swung through the gulf and was chasing me up the coast. Gasoline started in West Palm beach at $2.60 and was $5.00 + in the Carolinas. The oil platforms in the gulf were shut down and prices were going up 25-50 cents per day (although they did not pay higher prices).

I made the trip with my Father and 2 uncles. The trip was worth every penny!"

"Russell,

I will have t

"Russell,

I will have to dig out those numbers for you and send them later, but I remember that the 440,s burned 25 g.p.h. combined @ 2500 rpm's doing 15 mph. This trip was during the time that gas shot up, I paid an average of 4.20 per gallon and the total for the trip was just over $4,000.00. I just filled up at my marina last weekend for $2.05 per gallon, it seemed like a bargain."

"162 NM round trip for me. 19

"162 NM round trip for me. 1977 31' Silverton, twin 318s, still running original AFB carbs, loaded with fuel, ruhm, dog, & wife. We ran about 2100 rpm & burned a total of eight (8) gph on average. Timed tides & currents the best we could. I think we hit 12 knots at one point
Paid $5.20 for fuel at one marina! Thankfully we were only topping off the tank. Worth every penny...

I never thought it would happen but after a week of hitting our limit of Dungeness crab just about every day... we actually got tired of eating it. That is until we go again this summer!"

My mileage towing the Whaler d

My mileage towing the Whaler doesn't change a measurable amount at 8 knots but it slows me down a full knot at a fast cruise speed.

Dan

Back