Logo

Johnson 150 1997 no start

captain_morgan

I have a no start on a Johnson

I have a no start on a Johnson 150hp ocean runner 1997 model carborated. I have no spark. Switched power packs with another johnson 150 but still no spark. Have read service manual for troubleshooting. Point me in the right direction

"I check the kill circuit firs

"I check the kill circuit first. At the pack, you will see black wires with yellow stripe and orange stripe.
Disconnect those two at the pack, and re-try. If it starts, you have a kill switch problem, maybe the lanyard is not in place properly."

"I think there is a small fuse

"I think there is a small fuse in your control wire under the engine cowl, the more info you provide the faster we can troubleshoot."

"Doug, Sorry about my post, di

"Doug, Sorry about my post, did not look at the previous name and thought I was responding to the original question, do you agree with my portion of lots of info?"

"Regarding the need for more i

"Regarding the need for more info, maybe...but the ignition systems on these engines is similar enough, that you can easily try some basics first without needing exact model numbers, etc.

However, looking at 1997 150..if the basics don't fix it...then it does appear to be a bit more complicated than my 1996 200 looper.
Frank, post the model number when you can.

The fuse will NOT prevent the engine from generating ignition spark. If it is turning over at proper starter speed...300 rpm or so, and the kill circuits are disabled, it will gen spark.

You can disconnect the boat harness modular plug, straight jump the starter with jumper cables, or use a remote starter switch, and the engine will start (assuming nothing wrong with the ignition system). Since the harness is disconnected, you will have no way to shut it off, except to choke it down with rags over the carbs. So that is a bit dangerous, but it can be tried. With the harness disconnected, the key switch kill circuit is eliminated, also.
Remember, these engines generate their own power to fire the ignition system through the stator and magnets in the flywheel. They need no battery except to turn over the starter."

"My guess if ,one with an OIS

"My guess if ,one with an OIS ignition system, the optical sensor under the timing wheel on top of the fly-wheel is 'gone'. Only way to test is with an 'ignition analyzer'."

"Yeah...I was hoping it wasn&#

"Yeah...I was hoping it wasn't that sensor.
Basics first...engine cranking speed, kill switches disabled...that's the way I would go first."

"Doug, If one pays attenttion,

"Doug, If one pays attenttion, one learns, so I do thank you for that info, I just learned somthing today, which is a GOOD thing, I guess I know the a c & the e, but is nice to have the b&d to fill in the gaps, I was under the assumption that the control box was part & parcel to engine start. I guess that is what make this site a GREAT ONE.
happy.gif
"

"Hey Morton, check my post &#3

"Hey Morton, check my post "Rebuilding 1996 V6 200hp Looper" and post there letting me know what you think...
Thanks"

"Michael...

I found this ou

"Michael...

I found this out by studying and asking questions...here on this site. This is a great place for information...just great. I thank all the experts that spend time here trying to help us with our boat problems.

Try it sometime...disconnect the engine to boat harness at the engine.
Remove the air silencer. This allows you to choke it down with rags to stop it.
Give it some gas. I usually open the red primer solenoid lever manually and pump the bulb two times more, then return the primer solenoid red lever to run position. Then jump the starter manually, either by jumper cables or using a remote starter switch.
It will fire right up. Be careful. This is only for testing/eliminating parts of the system (harness).

The kill circuits (black/yellow stripe) go thru that harness connection, and when switch is OFF,
that black/yel wire is grounded. If you disc. the harness, no switch, no GND, and therefore no kill circuit."

"Doug: TKS info, I will try th

"Doug: TKS info, I will try that as a learning process, as soon as I get my boat out of storage,April 15 09, I must say that I do appreciate all the advice given on this site, I try to give a little back, all of my experience relates to dc electrical and the functions related there to, gauges, trim,tilt, trolling motors, etc. Engines, with out my book I would be in hell, cause there is no way I am going to Heaven!
Michael"

"I wonder why Frank will not r

"I wonder why Frank will not reply as to the status of his problem?
We all try to help, and I for one would like to know the outcome."

Back