Logo

Mercury 4hp 4stroke starting problems

fishingconi

Contributing Member
hi i have bought a 4hp mercury

hi i have bought a 4hp mercury 4stroke 2000 model it was sent by courier upside down oil had not been drained so oil everywhere cleaned up best i could would not start took it to a marine engineer who stripped the carb and cleaned and serviced it but it is hard to start once it is going it runs ok cost me £100 any ideas what could be the starting problem without going back to a engineer

"Ian, if you are positive that

"Ian, if you are positive that the motor was running before it was shipped -

aside from the carb the oil probably got into the cylinder (and all over the sparkplug) and depending which valve was opened, either all through the exhaust or intake.

4 stroke oil don't burn so well as you have found out
but since you have at least got it running this is what I would do...

Pick up 2 new spark plugs - change the existing one (and keep the second to replace after the motor is "cleaned out").

Get a spray can of Mercury "PowerTune" available from a Merc dealer and follow the directions on the can - it will clean all the oil/cooties/carbon out of the motor. If you can't find that particular product, there are numerous on the market - basically any product to de-carbon a small engine will work.

The process can seem a little rough, the engine will smoke like crazy, stall a couple times and all kinds of gunk will come out of the exhaust - but it works....

Then, once again replace the spark plug and see how she runs.

That's the cheap way (about 10 bucks here in Canada for plugs and the powertune) to try and fix the problem and should work fine as long as the oil was the only issue."

cheers thanx graham the guy i

cheers thanx graham the guy i bought it from said it was working ok when i bought it but he was lacking brains when he sent it not drained of oil i will try powertune and see how i get on and change the plugs

regards ian

Back