Logo

Synthetic oil in a suzuki 4 stroke

wrestling_coach

Contributing Member
I have an "03 DF70 Suzuki.

I have an "03 DF70 Suzuki. Is there any reason I can't change to 10w40 Synthetic oil at the next oil change? Thanks in advance.

Dennis

"From what I have read and hea

"From what I have read and heard, synthetic is fine as long as the engine is broken in. The reasoning is synthetic is too slick to allow the engine to wear enough for proper break in.

I plant to go to synthetic when my last 2 gal of two stroke oil runs out."

Thanks for your reply but I am

Thanks for your reply but I am asking about a 4 stroke. Can I fill the crank case with synthetic 10w40 even though the engine has always had dinosaur oil in it.

"2 stroke, 4 stroke, it should

"2 stroke, 4 stroke, it should be the same with the oil. Both cases it lubes the moving parts. Your 03 should be well broken in unless you just had a rebuild. Just make sure it is marine grade. Everything I hear says marine has rust inhibitors that standard car oil doesn't."

OIL?? Take a look at old issue

OIL?? Take a look at old issue of Trailer Boats mag.
Oct 2004 Vol. 34 Pg.60 I found on line at LIb.
Says Penzsoil 10W 30W is as good or better than most.Read and what do you think??

Save your money change your oi

Save your money change your oil and filter every 100hrs as per factory recomendations. I have 1976 hrs on a DF225TXK4 no failures to date. nothing but Suzuki 10-40 marine engine oil. Did a recent valve lash adjustment eng looked like new inside. Adjusted 17 valves runs like new again. Save that money for a valve lash adjustment.

"if u troll, no synth oil
Jus

"if u troll, no synth oil
Just wondering why no SYN with trolling.I had a 140 Suzy and trolled many Hrs without any problems"

When the engine is new synthei

When the engine is new syntheic oils don't allow enough wear to occur. The rings tend to glaze over which over time will cause poor engine performance. Personaly I think it's a waste of money in a recreational outboard. Great for racing apps and extreme use. If you maintain the engine properly it will out live you. especially if you troll a lot.

Problems i have seen is gas in

Problems i have seen is gas in the crank case a lot with synth oil

I believe the motor is not fully getting up to full operating temp

Back