Logo

Miss Mached engines

oceanpearl

I have a 1988 Tolly org. motor

I have a 1988 Tolly org. motors were twin 270/350 cubic eng. 2nd Owner replaced starbord in early 2005 with either a 2004 or 2005 5.7 350 cubic. which I belive to be 300 HP. How will that affect my fuel curve? Other than extra work for the 270 what effects might I expect or look for?

You mean extra work for the 30

You mean extra work for the 300hp as it has to do more than half the work for the lesser 270hp. You'll burn more fuel and the boat will prefer turning into fuel docks to port. ;)

"I don't think you'll

"I don't think you'll see any significant difference unless the port engine is worn and tired. The horsepower rating delta only occurs at the WOT rating rpm and will be less at lower rpms. The newer generations of engines have more efficient valve train designs so, if there is any delta, the newer engine should burn less than the older one.

if there's a big difference in the output capabilities, when up at cruise rpm - both engines synch'ed, the boat will drift like Rollie indicated with the rudders straight.

How did it sea trial before you forked out the $$?"

"She runs beautifuly and good

"She runs beautifuly and good about fuel consumption; No Eng. problems so far, just got into planning Spring tune ups and H/P difference popped into my mind being automotive parts person most of my employed life. Not a serious concern, just bothers me that eng are mismatched.Long story about how I became owner of such a fine vessel."

"If you're happy with her

"If you're happy with her behavior, keep her maintained well and full of clean fuel and she should be stable in the years ahead.

you can always spend a few bucks on a decal set is you want to maintain a cosmetic balance..."

Back