Logo

Painting aluminum fuel tank

gaffney1951

"I'am replacing the deck i

"I'am replacing the deck in my 86' 230 scorpion. After removing the old deck I removed the foam around the sides of the tank (70gal) all of the side surfaces are in pristine condition. I then cut a 4" hole at the fuel pickup location so I could check the condition of the interior all looked very good with the exception of two very small pits at the aft bottum area of the tank. I then fabricated an alum. cover drilled and taped the tank and used brass screws to secure the gasketed cover to the tank. The top of the tank had some very mild corrosion so I sanded the top of the tank and applied a coat rustoleum primer for rusty surfaces (tank was originally painted grey) and was going to top coat it with rustoleum enamel. Now I'am wondering if this primer has any metal in it, and if it could be problematic re galvanic corrosion. I also bought two small Zinc annoids that I was going to attach to the two vertical tabs on the tank. Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks, Mike"

"the zincs won't do you an

"the zincs won't do you any good unless the are submerged - I don't think i'd bother, especially if your "tabs" are the interior baffles.

on the paint, all the built-ins i've seen were aluminum (except for one which was custom s/s). Check rustoleum's www site - if not obvious from the pages, look for a contact number for their tech support group. The galvanic concern is valid but won't be an issue unless the area stays wet."

You cold attach a bonding wire

You cold attach a bonding wire to the tank and then connect it to your sacrificial boat zinc. The zinc will protect the tank if it comes in contact with water. All metal that lives underwater should be bonded together and connected to appropriate sized zincs. Not only does this protect the metals but improves the way the boat will fish.

Back