Logo

Mercruiser 470

"is there an additional soleno

"is there an additional solenoid on the starter like a GM or is it more like a Ford with just 1 lug for the battery cable.remenber the solenoid must be grounded properly to work,most relays require a sep. ground wire to make them work.Mercruiser trim pump solenoids are the same way.Auto`s use the frame and body for a ground returns , boats need a ground wire to function."

the slave is attached to the e

the slave is attached to the engine. the starter has one as well.. not like the old one bolt system... in the last 30 mins. i got the engine to start to some degree then i tried it again and then i get the click click but not movement from the starter.. so i wait a bit.. sometimes 2 mins.. sometimes a hour.. then it will turn over.. i got the battery ground to the engine.. the starter is ground to the engine. the slave is grounded .. so i dont know..

"next time it clicks, try shor

"next time it clicks, try shorting the slave lugs,
if starter turns, slave is bad.
if it still clicks, jump solenoid on the starter, if it clicks, jump the main battery cable to ground, a big fat spark, replace starter solenoid, no/weak spark means battery cable, connections, cable ends have a problem
otherwise known as the hi-current test"

well i have done all that.. pl

well i have done all that.. plus today i replace the solenoid with a nother one thinkin mayeb the first one was bad.. but no still same thing.. the starter is so new it still shines.. not a rebuild a new one.. the wires are all new.. battery is brand new. i mean there is nothing used.. worn out.. there is no reason .. i have tried to the cross bolt things many times.. and still clicks at first when i jumped the starter it turned over.. but now it wont.. i mean this is becoming a issue. especaially when i rebuilt my van engine and here i can not get this mercruiser 470 to do anything..

"Here is something i am confus

"Here is something i am confused about.. i got the manual. and i follow the wiring diagram and get the motor to turn over.. but then dos what i state above.. but i noticed that in the same manual there is another way to hook up the solenoid to starter and battery.. but it is different from the manual.. i have put also as a pic here what starter i have...and the other two pics might help in trying to figure out what is right...
251023.jpg
What my starter looks like"">
251024.jpg
wiring diagram"">
251025.jpg
Solenid connection . which one is right. the wiring or this one.. it shows many off and starts and on etc.. and all show the same wiring where batter goes into here first.. instead of starter as the diagram shows..

Use a 16 ga. jumper wire direc

Use a 16 ga. jumper wire directly from the battery to the slave solenoid (drawing point "a"). Try it several times. If it works consistently then the key switch or wire on either side of it to the slave solenoid is defective.

Back