Logo

Honda bf50 cooling system cleaner or flush

briant_k

"I have a '98 BF50 I just

"I have a '98 BF50 I just took the t-stat out of, which im pretty sure hasnt been changed. (Parts on order) There is a nice layer of pretty hard buildup throughout the water channels leading to, and after the t-stat about 2-3 mils thick. T-stat was covered in it, and we managed to chip out what had accumulated on the t-stat cover. Going to pull the other water cover and clean that up too. Anyway, I am wondering if there is anything, or any process other than just a standard flush, that would take care of this buildup. Any cleaners or solvents that can be ran through, or is it even anything to be overly concerned about? Any info, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance."

Hi Brian my experience over th

Hi Brian my experience over thirty odd years is most people dont flush their outboards long enough for the thermostats to open and close a couple of time to flush out the block.

I see many people run the motor and taste the water from the tale tail until it tastes fresh
Unless that thermo opens you still havent flushed out the block.

"If I recall correctly, the ma

"If I recall correctly, the manual recommends a 10 minute fresh water flush, as a minimum. I normally hook up the fresh water flush first thing when I dock the boat, and leave it on while I unpack and clean up, then disconnect as the last thing I do. That procedure seems to work well."

"Thanks for the info guys. The

"Thanks for the info guys. The problem is, we only run the boat in fresh water. This isnt salt, its brown and it looks as if there is sand in the layer as well. This stuff is pretty hard. I think there is some sort of blockage. Motor is still overheating. Im getting steam out of the tell-tale until its revved up. And I have to keep taking the tell-tale cowling plug off because it keeps getting plugged with small hard flakes from the hard layer of crap in my cooling system."

You should have a solid column

You should have a solid column of water coming out at idle. You might have to pull the lower end off to flush fresh water thru the cooling system with a garden hose under pressure. Sounds like you need to replace the water impeller anyway.

"Chris, the t/stat is on the p

"Chris, the t/stat is on the port side at the top of the motor about inline with the head gasket, held in by a small alloy cover with 2 x 6mm hex bolts."

Back