Logo

1976 EVINRUDE 35HP ELEC START BAD SWITCH

kc1

any help is greatly appreciate

any help is greatly appreciated! when i turn the switch nothing happens. when i jump the starter solenoid it cranks right up and i have replaced the solenoid twice so im pretty sure that is not the problem. i tested the switch (per service manual)which was good except for the blue wires that went to the m terminals they had continuity in the on position. would that be the problem or could it be something different? (service manual didnt specify)
thanks alot for answers

welcome to marineengine!

lo

welcome to marineengine!

look at the small wires coming off the solenoid................it looks like a regular connector but it should have a fuse inside.

THANKS for the welcome
the fu

THANKS for the welcome
the fuse holder has been removed by someone and butt crimped back together any other suggestions? thanks

im still a lil new at troubles

im still a lil new at troubleshooting the ign system.

i do know if you have voltage at the "m" terminals it will fry your ign system..........not sure why you would have continuity .....like isaid still a lil new.

if the switch checks ok i would suspect a bad connection or bad wire.

did you disconnect the main eng plug to get it to fire or just jump the solenoid with the wiring plugged together?

f you still have the control b

f you still have the control box apart looking at the start switch remove the wire that activates the starter solenoid and short it against the red positive on the ignition switch. if the motor winds over you know you have a faulty ignition switch

thanks for all the help guys!

thanks for all the help guys! i found i was missing a ground wire from the neutral start switch. as soon as i replaced it it cranked right up. again thanks for everything

glad tom see it was something

glad tom see it was something simple and inexpensive..........the neutral safety switch hadnt crossed my mind for some reason.

Back