Logo

3000 rpm no more

madigrace

"I own a 2002 70hp 4-stroke,,,

"I own a 2002 70hp 4-stroke,,,suzuki..The boat has sat a long time, I went out fishing the other day and the boat idiles fine runs fine all the way up to 3000 rpm,,then it seems its hittin a rev limit or something,,,same if in neutral...if neutral saftey switch can i fix myself and how? While the boat sat i did run pretty much every weekend."

"i got a portable gas tank for

"i got a portable gas tank for a john boat or what not and put new fuel in it, hooked it up just befor my primer bubble,,still the same thing! So its not bad fuel, its not a stuck anti-siphan,,anything else anyone can think of???"

The neutral switch is on the s

The neutral switch is on the starboard side of the engine block near the clutch control arm.
It is a simple on/off switch so you should be able to test it with a multi-meter.

"is there something that stops

"is there something that stops the motor from over reving in neutral? 6000 is the rev limit in gear is there a diffrent one for neutral? Neutral saftey switch was supposably replaced about 8 months ago when boat wouldn't start...i have now ran a can of seafoam threw the portable gas tank, and still the same thing,,3000 rpm motor acts like its hitting rev. limit,,vvvrrrrooommmm vvvrrrooommm vvvrrrooommmm at 2800 to 3000 rpm,,neutral seems 2800 in gear when went fishin friday was right around 3000"

"Boat is in the shop now,, wil

"Boat is in the shop now,, will find the problem soon, hopefully cheap ole lady gave budget,, can get extras if not super expencive,,,if I have a 1998 16ft center consule wellcraft,,,with a 70hp 4-stroke 2002 engine what thrust trollin motor should i get?"

"hey jeff, I'm having the

"hey jeff, I'm having the exact same problem with my 2005 115. it ran fine and then all the sudden it started doing that. if I keep squeezing the primer bulb it works. I replaced the primer/ filters you name it still no luck. it would be great if you could let me know what you find out.
thanks"

"I have a (2005) DF70

"I have a (2005) DF70 doing exactly the same thing. Please let me know what it was, closest dealer to me is 12hrs away. Beginning to wonder about Suzuki Motors, the Honda guy told me they were "bottom line" quality."

"For you guys posting here wit

"For you guys posting here with 4 strokes, suggest you have your O2 sensors checked out - those can restrict your rpms..."

I talked to a guy on another f

I talked to a guy on another forum that had the same problem. it's no secret that it's a fuel delivery problem. he brought his to a shop and it was the fuel pump. his engine only had 11 hours on it. like mine it had been sitting for a long time and the bad fuel. he said that the ethanol in the gas is doing this to a lot of newer engines. if there is any truth to that I don't know. I'll get mine in the shop to hopefully confirm this.

"It is very true that the etha

"It is very true that the ethanol will eat "old" rubber. But any motor built in the past 20 years can handle the ethanol without issue.

However, the E10 fuels get old in as little as 2 weeks.

So if the motor was stored without proper preparation (ie sat more than 1 month without first running gas stablizer all through the system and the running the motor "out of gas" and then pulling the carb and draining out the last bit in the bowl(s)), then yes, you can definately develop a gum/varnish problem from the gas...."

"To Jeff D: I tried to email

"To Jeff D: I tried to email you for an answer to your problem on your motor and find out what the dealer said, but your email address keeps being denied, is this the correct contact for you?"

Back