Logo

Will not turn over

draven620

Regular Contributor
Well me and boats must not get

Well me and boats must not get along just got a new used boat a couple of weeks ago and was told it ran good and that he had done alot of stuff to it.Well i put a battery in it and went to turn it over and it does nothing. the gauges move a little bit when i turn the key to start and that is all it does it doesnt turn over or even make a noise like it is trying to.I also have another question when i went to check the oil there was water and ice on the dipstick but when i undid the oil filter the oil came out without any water in it is this a bad sign i am engine dumb.The motor is a 140hp 4 cylinder 3.0.

"The question is what came out

"The question is what came out of the pan.If not winterized properly the block may be cracked and put water in the cylinders.Pull the drive first in case it`s the drive thats seized up. Then pull the spark plugs checking for rusted tips. The jump the starter solenoid(not the slave solenoid) with a known good battery.If it still wont turn, pull the head.If water or rust is evident you might be looking for a new motor."

is it hard to remove a drive i

is it hard to remove a drive i spent 1700 dollars on the boat hopin if i paid more id have less problems i guesss not.

the doghouse is rotten is it p

the doghouse is rotten is it possible that condensation built up in the dipstick or is that to far fletched of an idea

"either pull the pan drain or

"either pull the pan drain or pump it from the dipstick to see whats in there. Clean all battery cable ends ,positive and negative , and where they attach."

ok thanks i will try that mayb

ok thanks i will try that maybe i shouldnt have bought a boat off ebay in the middle of winter.

the boat hasnt been ran for a

the boat hasnt been ran for a while and it is usually in the single digits where i live in the winter does the cold make condensation

yes cold is part of the formul

yes cold is part of the formula for condensation but i would do what bt doctur said and clean all that stuff and check the voltage on the battery if the oil in the pan looks water free i wouldnt worry about that water on the d/stick but sounds to me like u have connection problems

Well pulled the drain plug and

Well pulled the drain plug and a quart of water came out before the oil.So me and a buddy pulled all the plugs and nonoe of them are steam cleaned and they have carbon on them.So we jumped the selenoid and the starter engaged but the boat would not turn over so we hooked a battery charger on boost to the battery and got it broke loose.So what is the next step after getting it broke loose.

"since a water and oil mix doe

"since a water and oil mix does not separate back, i`d think the water was added and the motor not run. pull the valve cover to check the operation of the lifters while you rotate the motor and to check for broken pushrods.A compression check should be next.Refill with oil and test run."

Well i talked to the guy i bou

Well i talked to the guy i bought the boat from and this is what he said does this make any sense"
there is a baffle in the exhaust that can cause that to happen if the boat was backed up too fast not a big deal just refill w oil and you can run it that way or replace the small exhaust baffle"That was the guy i bought it froms response any truth to it.

Replace the exhaust shutter.

Replace the exhaust shutter. What is the engine year and I'll send you the part #?

so that would cause there to b

so that would cause there to be a quart of water that came out of the oil drain before the oil.It is a 140 hp 3.0 1985

It will cause water to "ba

It will cause water to "backwash" thru the exhaust pipe into the valves open at that moment and stall and hydrolock the engine. Open the rubber exhaust coupler and see if it is there and working. Change it anyway if you are unsure for insurance.

A cracked exhaust manifold/riser will do it in the driveway w/a garden hose and muffs. An internal block crack will also do it. Time to pull the exhaust off and check/test it for leaks.

thanks for your help i am abou

thanks for your help i am about as mechanically inclined as a fly but i will see what i can do.

well i am stumped even more no

well i am stumped even more now.I undid both the valves to see if it was even winterized from the previous owner and all that came out of both drains was antifreeze.So i guess it was winterized.I was expecting to find water but to my amazement none.This weekend i am going to run it on cups any thing to watch for if it does start.I am kind of wondering if they put it in the water without the plug in or maybe had the plug in over the fall and winter and the engine compartment filled up with water enough to seep into the engine who knows.

I have a side question i check

I have a side question i checked over the outdrive and there are no drain and vent sealing washers for the drain and vent screws.I am trying to find which catagory to look in on this site for replacements.

Take a small sharp tool and pi

Take a small sharp tool and pick the washers out of the drain and vent holes; they are stuck.

merc. part # 12-191833 for the washer gasket available at any marine dealer; get 1/2 dozen.

Well i tried to start the boat

Well i tried to start the boat today and found out my ignition switch is bad.So we jumped the starter selenoid and the engine turned over but did not start.We pulled the coil wire and we are getting a arc when the coil wire is close to the coil.So what should my next step be should i take it to a mech. or what should I do next.

michael knapp
If you're g

michael knapp
If you're getting spark at the plugs check and make sure you're getting fuel to the carb and into the engine. All you need is compression fuel and spark and it will run
Bert

I am getting spark to the coil

I am getting spark to the coil but not the plugs we smelled a strong fuel smell while turning it over so it is getting gas.

""I am getting spark to th

""I am getting spark to the coil but not the plugs"

So spark is emitted from the coil end of the high voltage coil lead to the dist. but not thru the spark plug wires? Defective rotor, dist. cap and/or spark plug wires."

I forgot; what color is te spa

I forgot; what color is te spark? Dim yellow or bright blue. Dim yellow says your coil is trashed.

I do not know which color it w

I do not know which color it was but i thought it was junk so i used my buddys who has the same kind of motor and his boat was already running this year and it did the same thing.

Well on further inspection th

Well on further inspection the sparkplugs have alot of rust on the part of the sparkplugs where the insulation meets the metal case would this make the spark plugs junk.My buddy thinks it makes no diffrence but i think he is full of it i have a feeling they are junk am i right it is all four of them.

Back