Logo

Raw water cooled flush with fresh water frequently

broggerp

"I've got a 30-year-old ra

"I've got a 30-year-old raw-water-cooled diesel (Yanmar 2QM15) in Puget Sound. From a cooling system perspective, the engine looks just about as good as I could expect. The zincs seem to have been monitored & replaced, as there appears to be no major corrosion -- the passages in the head looked VERY good when I recently had that worked on.

While re-plumbing the water intake & etc., I put in a Y-valve that also connects to the sink. I was thinking I'd fill the sink with a hose upon returning to the dock, then run in some fresh water (and/or anti-freeze) so the engine wouldn't be bathed in salt water while resting for long periods.

Then, I got to thinking some more. (It's an issue of mine. ;-) Is it better to just let the thing be filled with salt water, or to alternately fill it with fresh, then salt, then fresh, then salt, etc?

For example, I could imagine (in the absence of any real knowledge) a "salinity gradient" establishing itself in the layer of corrosion inside the water passages. Might I actually accelerate corrosion if I were to be dramatically changing the cooling water's salt concentration at frequent intervals?

Frankly, as good as the engine looks at this point, I suspect I should consider leaving well enough alone.

Any more-informed opinions out there? (Thanks!)"

Back