Logo

Testing exhaust sys for leaks

lottanerv

After seeing steam I found wat

After seeing steam I found water in the no 7 cyl. of my 360. A leaking elbow was the cause and I replaced it. I started to test the rest of the system but thought it pointless since it is likely to fail soon after the elbow. So if you find one exhaust part bad shouldn't you just replace the whole system on both engines if they are the same age. Thoughts.

Hugh

"Not if the leak is coming fro

"Not if the leak is coming from one of those lousy, stinking swivel elbows! I've had two of them leak on me before I found out how to "tame" them:

First, mark the orientation of the two parts, so they will go back together the way they came off. Use something that won't wash off. Important!

Next, remove and thoroughly clean the O-ring surfaces, the stainless ring in the center, and the area in which it seats. Then assemble the parts using epoxy!

Coat the O-rings and and surfaces they rest on in slow-curing (ah-hem!) epoxy; and don't forget to "glue" in that stainless collar as well.

Making sure the parts are oriented correctly (your marks), lightly tighten the four screws (one of which requires a custom made wrench to get too--what where they thinking!)

Let the epoxy cure, then tighten the screws the rest of the way. Done this way, NO leaks.

Jeff"

"FastJeff, I have the log styl

"FastJeff, I have the log style manifold with riser and a 20 degree elbow not the swivel type. My engines are Chry. 360's. So now what do you think of my notion that if one exhaust component fails then replace them all in a setup like mine....it is a wasted effort (and a pia) to test them.
Hugh"

"In your case, I'd replace

"In your case, I'd replace everything. I know....

B-O-A-T (break out another thousand).

Jeff"

Back