Logo

Need help with TAMD41P gauges

allicat

"I have a problem with my inst

"I have a problem with my instrument panel: I turn key to on position, volt meter pegs out and tach pegs out then drops to nothing then pegs out and on and on, hour meter in tach does nothing. Motor starts and runs fine but gauges are not. Please advise. thanks"

"The only thing common to all

"The only thing common to all the gauges is the ground or negative connection so I would check that first. If it were me, to confirm this, I would run a temporary wire from the negative connection of the gauges to the negative terminal of the batery. If this corrects the problem, I would inspect each connection to find the problem.

I had this same problem on my other (for sale) boat and found the problem to be in the plug/socket to the engine wiring harness."

I had to run a temporary negat

I had to run a temporary negative just to get this reaction otherwise i have no gauge reaction at all

"Did this just start or has it

"Did this just start or has it done this since you bought the boat?

If it just started, was any work done on the engine or anything that might have disturbed the wiring?

Use a digital volt meter to measure the voltage across your installed volt meter and see what reading you get."

"there was a ground hooked to

"there was a ground hooked to a + on the alternator, now volt meter seems to be working, i get the hour display in tach but no tach reading when motor is running. non of the warning lights come on but alarm works when tested. does anyone have diagram of wiring for alternator or a picture of how wires are hooked up to alternator? in the manual it doesnt really make sense how they have it drawn up and there are no markings on alternator for - or +"

"Matthew,

Volvo puts the o

"Matthew,

Volvo puts the old manuals on-line at volvo.com. The wiring diagram is on two pages in the book. The numbers in the book are the same ones on the side of the plug. I needed a good magnifying glass to read the numbers on the plug but they are there. The color codes in the book are a big help too.

I found that I needed to clean up the connections on the plug (the part of the harness that is on the engine) to make the electrical system work good.

You probably have a vintage one which will have some light corrosion on the connectors. A little corrosion is all it takes to introduce problems.

I wire brushed all the connections I could get to and used dielectric grease on the plug to keep them clean. My system worked much better after I did this. Also, clean up the connections on your engine mounted breaker."

""non of the warning light

""non of the warning lights come on "

If you had something miswired so that the volt meter pegged, there is a good chance you burned out the warning light lamps. I would check them before going further."

Is your engine grounded to you

Is your engine grounded to your starting battery? Do you have a separate house battery and are all battery grounds tied together?

Back