Logo

Honda 90HP poppet cover bolts broken

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
"2000 90HP removed poppet cove

"2000 90HP removed poppet cover (3 bolts) to clean poppet. Broke 2 of the 3 bolts. One I drilled through. The other I drilled slightly then tried to screw an extractor in it which broke in there. I cannot drill through extractor and cannot tap it to break it. Is there anyway to user another way to hold that poppet unit other than those 3 bolts? Maybe some marine tech or something until I need to clean the poppet again which will be years. If not, how much trouble am I in? Am I going to have to replace that whole jacket that the broken undrilleable hole/bolt goes into? I hope not as chances are some of the other bolts holding it will break too. Can you shed a little light on my dilema?"

A local (Engine) Machi

A local (Engine) Machine Shop charged me $25 to remove one broken bolt w/o a broken easy-out problem.

Any way to weld to the broken bolt/extractor without ruining the aluminum casting?

Worth trying some silicone and

Worth trying some silicone and the remaining two bolts. Hopefully the 2 remaining are evenly spaced to hold it somewhat flat on the mating surface. If it still leaks noticably you'll have to try something else. A machine shop would be able to get it out if there is room for them to get at it.

Rollie Rose: Thanks I'm go

Rollie Rose: Thanks I'm going to try that. The machine shop is out because that means I would have to remove 10 more bolts from that jacket that the poppet housing goes screwed into and that means 10 more chances of breaking bolts.

"Depending on how small the bo

"Depending on how small the bolt hole is, and how big the extractor is, you could always use a very tiny drill to tap very small holes all the way around the extractor into the bolt. Then take a small chisel and hammer to break the remaining out. Ive done it before, but on bigger bolts, it took a while."

"Try using a cobalt drill bit,

"Try using a cobalt drill bit, with a good cutting oil. Go slow, use a small drill and work your way up in size. Worst case is to install a heli coil."

Try using a arc welder and a s

Try using a arc welder and a stainless electrode

This is how it works
1 i have never had any luck with easy outs
2 You weld onto the end of the broken bolt and build up a blob that you can grip with multi grips.
The heat travels through the broken bolt and expands against the alloy and the arc destroys most of the corrosion build up.

After you have built up the blob on the end spray the area with crc or similar and it will undo.

For every bolt you take out coat it with perfect seal or aviation gasket cement non hardning type.
And you will never have a problem again.

One more tip for head bolts coat each head bolt along the shank and about ten mm down the threads this seals the shank and thread from water egressing through the head gasket.

I have used this method myself

I have used this method myself but I welded another nut on through the nuts hole !!!....the heat certainly helped and I wound it out easily.

"Thank you "Just-in-time&#

"Thank you "Just-in-time" but I already put it all together last Friday with a good bolt and hole on the right side, a good bolt screwed directly into a hole I was able to drill through the broken bolt on the left side, and in the center a shallow helicoil in a shallow hole I was able to drill up to where the extractor broke. In order to hopefully make up for not having the original holes and bolts perfect I used a good grade of silicone. It looks good but I'll find out when I start the motor which I hope to do this coming weekend. I'll keep you posted and next time I break a bolt; I'll try your left hand drill suggestion first.
Regards and thanks,"

"TO; Just-in-time, Rollie Rose

"TO; Just-in-time, Rollie Rose and others:
I started the motor yesterday. I rev'd it up and let it run for a while and NO LEAK. So far so good. Next test is to take it for a ride at full speed and use it for 30-60 minutes before I go out to the ocean. Thanks to all you guys that helped me out. Enjoy your day"

Back